3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stock HU new speakers ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 03:50 AM
dksram
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stock HU new speakers ???

I want to keep my stock head unit but would like some advice on some better speakers. I have read the fronts are 6x9 or 6 1/2?
Rear 5 1/4 ?
3-way over 2-way?
What is the specs for my stereo on a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Q/C 4.7
4 speakers?

Thanks

Old 03-20-2012, 07:24 AM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

all of the speaker sizes that you mention will fit. You probably have 4 speaker system. Front can take either 6x9 or 6.5. rear can take 6.5 or 5.25. Generally you want to put the best/most amped speakers in the front to keep a forward presence to the music. Crutchfield.com is great site. They include all the gear needed for install and have excellent customer service. If you want a fun test when installing new speakers, put a new one in one front door and leave a stock speaker on the other side. turn on the stereo and compare the sound from each speaker. You'll never live with stock again.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:31 AM
Dudemanbrother
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with ^^ except crutchfield is expensive. Go on their site to find all the info and fit of new speakers and then type the product number of the ones you like into eBay and save a lot of money. Run 6x9s up front and 6.5s in rear. You can reuse your factory mounting plates if you buy speakers that fit correctly.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:48 AM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Crutchfield is a great place to start. First of all, you can go to their website and plug in your vehicle specs and it will tell you what fits, what doesn't fit, or what requires modification to make it fit. You can also online chat with one of their consultants. Or you can go old-school and call and talk to a rep. Sometimes I buy from them, sometimes I don't, but they generally don't pressure you to buy even if they give you advice. If I'm not ready to commit yet or I know I can go cheaper elsewhere, I usually just tell them I want to think about things and will get back with them and they are fine with that. So, worse case, you can figure out what will work best for you, and then go buy it elsewhere.

Crutchfield is not always that bad on pricing and if what you are doing requires a kit or harness for your vehicle, they usually include in the price as well as installation instructions. Plus, if you run into a snag, you can call them for support. I recently put a new HU in my daughter's 4Runner. I bought it from Crutchfield for $199 shipped and it included a vehicle specific harness so all I had to do was match colored wires together and splice them. It was a Kenwood double din with usb for ipod support. I priced the same unit on ebay, and the cheapest I could find it was in the high $160's and I would have had to figure out the wiring on my own with no possible support. To me, it was worth the difference in price in that case.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:18 AM
Arctodus
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whatever speaker you go with will be better as the stock speakers are garbage. I like going to local stereo shops. Everything is on hand and they can actually talk to you and tell you the advantages of each brand and usually give you a better deal if you have cash. Find one and talk to the owner and get a feel for him, its better then trying to find what you want by looking at a magazine or web site.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:20 PM
pitbull24
Veteran

Originally Posted by Arctodus
Whatever speaker you go with will be better as the stock speakers are garbage. I like going to local stereo shops. Everything is on hand and they can actually talk to you and tell you the advantages of each brand and usually give you a better deal if you have cash. Find one and talk to the owner and get a feel for him, its better then trying to find what you want by looking at a magazine or web site.
plus you can listen to what you may be buying.

Quick Reply: Stock HU new speakers ???