3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

List of "whats wrong" any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 02:07 AM
Senomar_DTK
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default List of "whats wrong" any ideas?

Took my truck into to have what I thought was a leaking oil pan but it turned out to be timing cover gasket and seal. Then they made a list of other things wrong:
-harmonic balancer- oil soaked, worn and deteriorating damper
-drive belt tensioner assembly, slight play, will require belt
-water pump- slight play, will be required w/ timing cover gasket, recommend thermostat and gasket
-steering rack n pinion- leak
-LF upper ball joint play, recommend all
-power steering pressure line- leak
-oil pressure switch- required w/ timing cover gasket
-lower control arm bushings- worn
-steering shaft- rusting recommend R/R, clean n grease
-transfer case service- tail shaft seal leak
-slip yolk, seal and bushing worn and leaking
-transmission mount- cracking
-leaf spring bushing- worn
-LF and RF motor mounts- cracking
-radiator- slight leak at RF tank, recommend w/ timing cover gasket
-trans quick connects @ cooler- small leak

Holy crap thats alot!

Anyone done any of those things or any input? Ill be looking into doing what I can myself.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:36 AM
freestyledude
Captain

Your truck is sounding awful old for an 07!
Personally, if the leaks aren't really noticeable I'd save those jobs for later, power steering leaks you might want to look into.
I dont see how your leaf bushings and motor mounts are already cracking, mine were all fine in my 03 when I pulled the motor and rear diff.
You should be able to get a deal on labour for most of the work in front of the timing cover, they'll already have to remove some of those parts. I don't see how a steering shaft could get so rusted it needs replacing... Might be worth getting a quote at another shop as well

What is your mechanical ability level at?
I bought a BJ press at Princess Auto (Canadian Harbour Freight) and I found changing the ball joints in my 03 very easy, not sure how coils would complicate this, but you could check a service manual.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:49 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Either you have beaten that truck to death or your mechanic is really looking to retire off of you.

My '04 hasn't exactly been running the baja500, but there's been a good bit of hauling, towing and off-road use - nothing hard but a lot of getting back to spots to hunt and fish where you'd need 4 wheel drive and an occasional winching out.

I've not had a single leak nor have had to do a single thing on your list - although I probably am not too far from needing ball joints (upper & lowers) as my boots are completely gone and it won't be long before crud gets in and kills them. But that would be about the only thing on your list that I'd need to do...

Old 03-22-2012, 12:07 PM
Senomar_DTK
Professional

None of the leaks ive seen except for oil on the oil pan that has dripped up on to it.

I drive my truck normal and don't really beat it up.

Im just going to look more into and do the necessary things like worn ball joints etc.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:06 PM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 102,000+ on my 06' 1500 and i live in New England where they are big on salting the hell out of everything.

I have NONE of the issues you are talking about (thankfully). Other then doing shocks and struts, Sway Bar end links and ONE Tie rod end, everything on my truck is still fine and not in need of replacement and i have no leaks.

Ill have to agree with Hammer, either you beat the hell out of your truck or your mechanic is out of control.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:21 PM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is your mileage? Do you live near the ocean?

Old 03-22-2012, 01:24 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

Might be time to take it somewhere else. Sounds like they are trying to get rich off one work order.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:48 PM
BWhelan
Professional

I am also interested on what your miles are on this truck. I live in New England as well and besides a control arm, I haven't had any issues.

I honestly would see another mechanic...

Old 03-22-2012, 06:10 PM
Senomar_DTK
Professional

I just hit 84,000. The only off road I usually do is when out hunting, but that's just field driving and nothing to crazy yet.

I live in Ohio so it can be salty here.

Most of it seems like things were starting to need some attention, the only leak ive noticed was some oil and it never was a lot.

Tie rod ends and ball joints im going to do soon since they are mostly worn out but that seems to be the only "big" issue except for the oil leaking from where it is.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:33 PM
slakker25rs
Professional

Damn. They like their lists dont they.

As far as the steering rack, I have had leaks and it is doing so now. It seems that it is supposedly an issue on the rams as this is my second. The mention the Power steering hose. The seem where the compression fitting going into the rack is where the leaking occurs. I am not sure how that makes them both faulty, but why not, just add it to the list.

Last edited by slakker25rs; 03-22-2012 at 11:12 PM.

Quick Reply: List of "whats wrong" any ideas?