3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2003 Ram 1500 5.7 acting funny

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 01:03 AM
FL8X
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Ram 1500 5.7 acting funny

Ive had the truck since 05 and never had a issue with it. Truck has a little over 77500 miles on it, gets drove once or twice a week. Here's the deal, went to drive the truck the other day and truck would start then die. Started it again and did not wont to ideal at all, gave it a little gas and it stumbled but stayed running till I let off the gas then idled really ruff and died. Called it a day and took the bike instead. Went back out today and started the truck same thing but finally got it to idle but ruff. Once it warmed up it seem to smooth out and idled. I checked and no codes. Thought at first it might be the alternator, when it idle ruff gauge was way down but then the ABS light came on for a few minutes and then went out. Once it warmed up, alternator gauge looked normal and no more idiot lights and seemed smooth. All maintenance is up to date and air filter is fairly new.

Anyone got any idea's?? Haven't got to really trouble shoot this yet but going to look into this weekend and see what might be going on.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:32 AM
abarmby
Champion

I've seen some real funny stuff happen on my Ram, when the battery wasn't up to scratch.
The electrical stuff is really sensitive in these trucks.
Only being driven once possible twice a week is probably not enough to charge up the battery sufficiently. Are these short trips as well?? do you have your radio heater lights on etc as you take these short trips??
Try swapping out or fully charging overnight on a trickle charge the battery and go from there.
Either that or get the battery load tested and checked out.
Hope this helps?
Al.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:46 AM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also sounds like you might have some water in the fuel. I'd give Al's suggestion a try, but some dry gas "RED Bottle ONLY" may help. Start with the simple stuff first.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:48 AM
FL8X

Thanks guys, the battery I dont think is the problem, install a Optima red top last summer. When I do take it out, its usually all day. I drive it mostly when its raining or weather is crap and then theres the weekend out playing, not beating. The water in the gas might be it, we did just get some rain last week here in So Cal and there are times the base gets some sorry gas. Funny thing is I drove it the day before and ran like a champ, as it always does. Ill try and get some gas in it this weekend and take it out to the desert and see what it does.

Thanks again
Tim

Old 03-28-2012, 05:16 PM
PRADO
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sound like its crappy base gas to me. ive seen alot of marines with issues with hemis and turbocharged cars cause they get that cheap base gas when it rains. pull the fuel line ans stick it in a clean clear water bottle and let some gas sit and see if it seperates.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:31 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok,

Here's the thing-----the fuel on 5.7 is NOT recirculated back to the tank, thats why the regulator is an integral part of the fuel pump. If you are getting water into the fuel, it gets pumped into the fuel rails and sits there. On the early editions of this truck, the rails would rust and have to be replaced, at somthing like a 400 dollar bill.

The alchohol absorbs the water and allows it to be burned. If you think you might have water in the tank--treat it now, before it forces you to later--sludge is no fun

Old 03-29-2012, 06:15 PM
PRADO
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So do u have water?

Old 03-31-2012, 11:56 PM
FL8X

Didnt find any water in the gas. I pulled some in to a mason jar and let it sit over night and no droplets of water. I went ahead and refilled the tank with 91 and put some lucus fuel injector cleaner in. I changed the plugs and air filter today, while I had the hat of I pulled the throttle body of and cleaned it. Now it has went from bad to worse. Idle jumps all over the place, 650 - 2000, rev is kind of slugish and when it drops back down, looks like its coming down some stairs(jerky). I checked for vacuum leaks but havent found any. MAP Sensor is what Im thinking now. Seems really loose in the intake and the MAP KPA readings at idle 35-40 and not running around 102. Any body got any other idea's??

Tim

Old 04-01-2012, 12:14 AM
Dudemanbrother
Professional

Did you clean the iac and tps when you cleaned the throttle body? Those and the cam position sensor are integral in maintaining a smooth idle.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:35 AM
FL8X

Not sure but from what I understand, the IAC and TPS are built in to the throttle body on the 5.7 and cant be taken apart and cleaned. If Im wrong someone tell me where this are cause I cant find them.

Quick Reply: 2003 Ram 1500 5.7 acting funny