3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil on boots.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 11:05 PM
Dead2Fall
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil on boots.

Had a squeak in my front end so I got under there with a grease gun and low and behold... No zerk fittings. Hit everything with some spray lube and squeak is gone. However while I was under there I noticed the passenger side boot for the steering was wet with oil. The oil filter is right above it so I figured it was spill from last filter change. Problem is the driver side boot is wet with oil as well. Any thoughts?

Old 04-01-2012, 08:12 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Internal leaking is common for the racks on these trucks. They'll leak internally and the pressure will force it out the seals and then you have fluid inside your boots leaking out.
Check your fluid level. If it's low, I'd add some Lucas Powersteering leak. Works great and helps puff up/rejuvuinate the seals to eliminate further leaking.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:26 PM
Kscha41
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The pass. side can be from the oil filter and the drivers side can be from old, worn worm clamps on the return and feed hoses. I would check those clamps and see if they are loose. I thought mine was leaking and it turned out my clamps where loose. I just replaced them with new ones.

Quick Reply: Oil on boots.