3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Y pipe or X pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 11:19 PM
V8madness
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Y pipe or X pipe?

Ok so right now I have a flowmaster SI/DO with turndowns and no cats with both resonators (was on truck when I got it). I'm looking to get a little better gas mileage and performance if possible but I'd rather have gas mileage over anything and also a better system to help the motor. I'm looking to get either a magnaflow Y pipe with a SI/DO muffler or magnaflow X pipe with 2 SI/SO magnaflow mufflers, and a magnaflow cat. I say magnaflow because I read there a better performance muffler then flowmaster. I was wondering what y'all think?

Old 04-12-2012, 11:21 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Best option is a mix of the two: 2.5" from after the cats to a DI/DO Magnaflow. The DI/DO have an "X" in the body, where the two sides can "equalize". Using the "X" pipe and two mufflers would likely not yield any more mpg or horses than the DI/DO would.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:53 PM
V8madness
Rookie

Ok so your saying get a magnaflow x pipe, 2? Magnaflow cats and a magnaflow DI/DO muffler correct?

Old 04-14-2012, 12:05 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

The stock cats flow plenty well. No gains to be had by upgrading them. What I'm recommending is removing everything from after the cats to the tips, and replace it with 2.5" SS pipe and a DI/DO Magnaflow. I had a shop do that for me, and the cost was around $300.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:48 PM
V8madness
Rookie

The stock cats would be fine but they were not on there when I bought the truck so I'll have to get new ones.

Quick Reply: Y pipe or X pipe?