3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

P0340 Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 08:30 PM
robblob
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation P0340 Please help!

Looking for some help with my 2002 dodge ram 1500. Truck started throwing code P0340 a couple weeks ago. Would go off and on at first, then started staying on. Then the engine started running rough. I started to notice that it would jump at times while driving. Really rough. I just put a brand new engine in the truck about 5 months ago and have new camshaft and crankshaft sensors. Could it just be a bad camshaft sensor already? The truck will start no problem if it sits for a while or if you just kill it for a few minutes, but there is a window between 10-30 minutes where it will not start. Just have to wait it out. Looking for any advice on getting this solved. Maybe get a new PCM? Please help.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:48 PM
Wanderer
Veteran

Generic OBD Error Code Details for P0340
Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit

What does this mean?

OBD Code P0340refers to
This indicates that a problem was detected in the camshaft position sensor circuit. Since it says circuit, that means the problem could lie in any part of the circuit - the sensor itself, the wiring, or the PCM. Don't just replace the CPS (camshaft position sensor) and think that will definitely fix it.

Symptoms

Possible sumptoms of OBD code P0340
Symptoms can include: Hard starting or no start Rough running / misfiring Loss of engine power

Causes
Possible causes of OBD code P0340
A code P0340 could mean one or more of the following has happened: a wire or connector in the circuit could be grounded/shorted/broken the camshaft position sensor may have failed the PCM may have failed there exists an open circuit the crankshaft position sensor may have failed

Possible Solutions

With a P0340 OBD-II trouble code, diagnosis can be tricky at times. Here are some things to try: Visually inspect all the wiring and connectors in the circuit Check for continuity in the circuit wiring Check the operation (voltage) of the camshaft position sensor Replace the camshaft position sensor as required Check the crankshaft position circuit as well Replace circuit wiring and/or connectors as required Diagnose/replace the PCM as required

Old 04-15-2012, 10:27 PM
robblob

Originally Posted by Wanderer
Generic OBD Error Code Details for P0340
Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit

What does this mean?

OBD Code P0340refers to
This indicates that a problem was detected in the camshaft position sensor circuit. Since it says circuit, that means the problem could lie in any part of the circuit - the sensor itself, the wiring, or the PCM. Don't just replace the CPS (camshaft position sensor) and think that will definitely fix it.

Symptoms

Possible sumptoms of OBD code P0340
Symptoms can include: Hard starting or no start Rough running / misfiring Loss of engine power

Causes
Possible causes of OBD code P0340
A code P0340 could mean one or more of the following has happened: a wire or connector in the circuit could be grounded/shorted/broken the camshaft position sensor may have failed the PCM may have failed there exists an open circuit the crankshaft position sensor may have failed

Possible Solutions

With a P0340 OBD-II trouble code, diagnosis can be tricky at times. Here are some things to try: Visually inspect all the wiring and connectors in the circuit Check for continuity in the circuit wiring Check the operation (voltage) of the camshaft position sensor Replace the camshaft position sensor as required Check the crankshaft position circuit as well Replace circuit wiring and/or connectors as required Diagnose/replace the PCM as required
I have checked the wiring already but I suppose I could do it again. Just wish there was a cut and dry solution.

Quick Reply: P0340 Please help!