3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine Sputtering when slowely accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012 | 01:06 PM
TreyWorthington
|
Default Engine Sputtering when slowely accelerating

Hey guys. I'm new to the site and I thought I'd give this a try before I take it to the shop.
I've got a 2005 Dodge Ram with the 4.7L Engine. Bone stock. I just recently purchased it but It seemed like it was well taken care of. A few days ago I was driving around 55mph and it started to sputter and shake. The check engine light came on of course. I drove it straight to Advanced and they gave me a misfire code on #4 cylinder. I thought, Ok, give me some plugs. Put the plugs in next morning. Still acting up. Went and bought a new ignition coil and put that on. Didn't fix it. Tried Seafoam in the tank and through the throttle body thinking the injector may be clogged. Cleaned it out good because It smoked for a while. Still not fixed. I inspected all of the vacume lines and they all seem to be ok. Seems like a gas issue to me? At startup it runs a little rough but not too noticeable. When I give it gas at slow speeds sputters a little but evens out with more gas given. It is really noticeable at higher speeds (45mph and faster) when I'm giving it steady gas. I have to let off the gas or punch it to make it stop. Any suggestions would help.

Old 04-16-2012 | 01:15 PM
SLT8
Record Breaker

How does the wiring harness look around the coil? Any frayed wires?

Old 04-16-2012 | 01:19 PM
TreyWorthington
|

Yes They all look fine. The harness isn't corroded or anything either.

Old 04-16-2012 | 01:47 PM
SLT8
Record Breaker

Cool. I had coil misfires which ended up being cut wires from a pack rat having a buffet.

How did the old plugs look?

Guess a compression test is in order but i would also pull the valve covers to inspect the rockers, springs and push rods to make sure they are all seated good.

Last edited by SLT8; 04-16-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-16-2012 | 06:18 PM
TreyWorthington
|

The old plugs were pretty worn. The worst of them was the cylinder 4 that had the misfire. I was tinkering around today unplugging and replugging things to rule out anything. I unplugged the cylinder 4 injector while it was running and it didn't make it idle any rougher. Should I replaace the injector and go from there? Still no new codes. Just the P0304.

Old 04-16-2012 | 07:16 PM
joebaum
Professional

Listen 2 injector should hear it working , compare .fuel injector drop test . Compression test . Are there any insulators between plug and coil that may have a secondary failure.

Old 04-18-2012 | 09:00 PM
TreyWorthington
|

Thanks for all of your help. I went ahead and took it to a local shop here. Diagnosed it within 30 minutes. Put 2 new lifters on cylinder 1 and 4 and fixed the rocker arm that was loose on number 4. All for under $200. I'll take that for piece of mind. It's running great now.

Old 04-18-2012 | 10:03 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Yeah there are several threads about 4.7's throwing rocker arms

Quick Reply: Engine Sputtering when slowely accelerating