3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Air Bag Light/Code trouble.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2021, 06:19 PM
Stoober
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Bag Light/Code trouble.

Hello all,

Trying to nail down the exact fix for Air bag light and corresponding codes.

The truck is a 2003 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins that just eclipsed 200k miles. I had purchased it with the Air bag light on. Previous owner said it came on when he took it into the dealership to have them service the air bag system due to a recall. Dealership said they couldn't figure out how to turn it off. Didn't bother me until now, as I've moved to a state that does inspections.

OBDII scanners pulls 2 SRS codes. The first is "0007: ORC output diagnostic code" the second is "0059: First row passenger seat belt pretensioner short to battery".

The 0059 code is easy enough, I've pulled the pretensioner and am sending in to a third party be serviced/restored. The 0007 code is the one that's giving me trouble. The only thing I can think of is to do the same with the SRS module, send it in to be restored and have hard codes wiped. And if that doesn't work, disconnect the light in the instrument panel and hope they are too lazy to hook up a scanner upon inspection.

Things I've done in an attempt to resolve:
1. Disconnect batteries, then reconnect
2. Erase codes
3. Disconnect, clean, check, and reconnect all connections.

Truck has never been in a wreck, or had the air bags deploy.

Any help or pointing in the right direction would be great. Thanks!

Old 08-16-2021, 03:03 PM
3rdgens4sell
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont have much experience with airbags. I believe the system does a check on every start up. If there was a problem thats fixed the code should clear on its own. I have also heard if you have a passenger airbag turn off. Takes your key to turn. If the light on it doesnt work the system will see it as faulty.

Old 08-16-2021, 09:28 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 574 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by Stoober
Hello all,

Trying to nail down the exact fix for Air bag light and corresponding codes.

The truck is a 2003 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins that just eclipsed 200k miles. I had purchased it with the Air bag light on. Previous owner said it came on when he took it into the dealership to have them service the air bag system due to a recall. Dealership said they couldn't figure out how to turn it off. Didn't bother me until now, as I've moved to a state that does inspections.

OBDII scanners pulls 2 SRS codes. The first is "0007: ORC output diagnostic code" the second is "0059: First row passenger seat belt pretensioner short to battery".

The 0059 code is easy enough, I've pulled the pretensioner and am sending in to a third party be serviced/restored. The 0007 code is the one that's giving me trouble. The only thing I can think of is to do the same with the SRS module, send it in to be restored and have hard codes wiped. And if that doesn't work, disconnect the light in the instrument panel and hope they are too lazy to hook up a scanner upon inspection.

Things I've done in an attempt to resolve:
1. Disconnect batteries, then reconnect
2. Erase codes
3. Disconnect, clean, check, and reconnect all connections.

Truck has never been in a wreck, or had the air bags deploy.

Any help or pointing in the right direction would be great. Thanks!

The air bag light is a default if something trips it. You will have to have it reset. I've had to do that couple of times. The last time it was under a week turn around. I don't remember who did the last one I had reset but it worked like a charm. I'm rather surprised the DEALER didn't know what to do. I've snuck into dealer training classes before. The few I've sat in on were pretty detailed.

Old 08-17-2021, 12:45 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

The pretensioner is part of the seat belt bucket. Disconnect the battery to make the repairs and code should clear on its own.

Quick Reply: Air Bag Light/Code trouble.