3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'02 4.7L shakey idle then dies.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 10:02 AM
John F
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '02 4.7L shakey idle then dies.

New here and need some help. I did read another post with a guy having his 4.7L die, but his symptoms sounded nothing like mine.
2002 Ram 1500 4.7L w/128,000 miles
Background: Saturday I picked my truck up from having it painted, and when i left the shop the truck was running really rough. check engine light was on. I took it into autozone and had the codes pulled (cant recall the actual code) basically it was a misfire on cylinders 5&6. i knew i was way past due for new plugs, so i installed the NGK V-power plugs gapped to .044, also cleaned the TB really well. Drove it and it runs great, no longer does the idle feel weird or feel like its running on 1/2 the motor as it did when i picked it up from the shop. Drove up to the gas station to get some gas. i did not have the a/c on, and the tach fluttered about 200 rpm, didnt recover from it and it died. thought it was odd, but i had had the battery disconnected for quite a while so i figured it was still reprogramming it and thought nothing of it. so i went ahead and got gas, and dumped in a bottle of injector cleaner.
The next day i was driving it to work, still running fine. sitting at a stop light the truck was idleing about 600 rpm, it started to flutter about 200 rpm and cought itself and idled uptop about 900 rpm and leveled back out. pulled up to the next stop light and it started doing the same thing, this time though it died, like it didnt catch itself. it did this to me another 4 times on the way to work. on the way home i turned the a/c on and driving it and at stop lights it did the 200 rpm flutter but never died. This morning on my way into work again and not running the a/c and it died a few times. i turned the a/c on and it would flutter but never die at the stop lights.
Can anyone give me any advice with what to look at or what to do about this, its really driving me nuts.
The truck used to do this a occasionally before i changed the plugs but would never die.

any help would be appreciated..

Last edited by John F; 05-15-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:41 AM
bwallace530
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am having somewhat the same type of problem. I ran out of gas im pretty sure my fuel pump is fried but I am also thinking my pcm is going out also.

I have replaced the tps crankshaft sensor camshaft sesnor injector #1 that was bad coil on that injector. And my problem is still here the truck is throwing no codes at all.

Fuel system pressure is 40-50 at idle needle is going crazy and when I give it gas it is steady at 48 psi. But still runs like its on 2cyls drivers side cyls sound like it is missing firing badly. But no codes at all.

Im not sure if this relates to you at all.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:01 PM
John F

yeah im not for sure, i was reading through your thread this morning, sounds similar, but different at the same time.. lol.. for me its just weird, it just does it when im sitting at a stop light at idle, and doesnt matter if i have it in gear or in neutral. the engine will kind of flutter a bit.. ive been wondering if it isnt a cam sensor or a o2 sensor, i dont know, ive never had to replace a sensor on the truck since ive had it now for 4 years.. and with it hitting 128k miles im sure things are getting worn out..

Old 05-15-2012, 12:04 PM
bwallace530
Professional

Well my truck has 161k. But it could be so many things its crazy. And the computer is not telling me anything it wont throw any codes besides the one it threw a p0202 for the injector and it keeps throwing the same one even after I replaced it. Probably by the time I figure it out every damn sensor is going to be replaced lol. It just doesnt make sense to why it is running so badly all the sudden.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:08 PM
John F

yes i completely agree with you. my truck was running great before i took it in to be painted and the hail damage repaired, i got it back from the shop and its been running super rough. and it just started out of the blue. but honestly after replacing the plugs, its running better and smother, just has the issue while i am at a stop light. like yuo i think every sensor is going to get changed trying to track this down.. lol..

Old 05-15-2012, 12:19 PM
bwallace530
Professional

I just spoke with a dodge mechanic and he is telling me to do a compression check. So i am going to do that today see what it says. But he is telling me that is seems like a electrical issue more then a sensor issue sense I replaced the sensors and it is still having the problem. So i have to trace all the wires and see whats going on.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:42 PM
rogueninja23

there is a tsb out about a flutter of the engine with 4.7l . there may be an update for the software for the pcm that can fix the flutter. also you may have an oxygen sensor failing. the upstream sensor way be fooled with oil from the engine. in the reading i have be doing there is a gasket under the intake that allows oil to fool the oxygen sensor.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:55 AM
John F

i was doing some digging around on the truck lastnight, and noticed the PCV valve was broke. Im going to go replace it at lunch time, could this be all that is causing the issue??

Old 05-16-2012, 09:37 AM
rogueninja23

It would be a good start ... Good luck

Old 09-30-2012, 11:37 PM
mvbowens

I have replaced the camshaft sensor, crankshaft sensor, throttlebody, and egr valve on my 08 Dodge Ram 4.7L 3rd generation. I changed the 16 plugs our earlier. Mine stills dies every once in awhile. I checked my fuel pressure yesterday and is was between 55 and 60at idle but the needle was fluttering alot.

Quick Reply: '02 4.7L shakey idle then dies.