3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

7 wire trailer wiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 01:17 PM
2268irma
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 7 wire trailer wiring

I bought a 2008 ram 1500 sport with trailer tow option it only has a 4 wire plug at the back with a blank for the 7 wire plug. I purchased a brake controller harness and pluged it in under the dash the 4 wires go thru the firewall but but I can't find it in the harness where the wires come out for the 4 wire plug at the bumper. also is there a wire installed to charge the trailer battery or will I have to run one? Help

Old 05-30-2012, 01:22 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

A little confused here - it has the trailer tow package but the round plug is not physically there at the back?

I have the factory tow package and it has the round trailer connector at the back as well as the 4 pin that dangles underneath. I was able to wire in my Tekonsha brake controller under the dash in minutes using the harness that was in my glove box when I bought the truck. You sure you have factory tow?

Old 05-30-2012, 01:30 PM
2268irma

Yes it has the factory tow it has the socket under the dash that I plugged the brake controller harness into and followed the socket wires thru the firewall into the large harness coming out under the hood but I don't know which wire the brake controller wire bis at the rear in the harness.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:39 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Sounds very odd. Maybe someone can help you. But if you have the factory tow package, you should have the round connector at the back and it should already be wired.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:07 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Factory tow package has the 7-pin plug Female end mounted into the bumper. If you dont have that, you dont have factory Tow option. Pretty certain All trucks had 4-pin plug even non-tow one's.
The plug under the dash is what you plug your brake controller into. You need not do anything further. Now if there's no plug out back like they forgot to install it or something, your gonna hev to purchase the entire harness and run it yourself. A brake controller should be plug'n'ply for Tow Equipt Rams.
OEM HARNESS

obviously the 4-pin doent have anything to do with the brake controller. You need the 7-pin for that. I'd do a search on this subject and look at online pics to get a better grasp.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:03 PM
2268irma

The hitch is a dodge hitch and I have the factory brake control socket that I plugged my brake control into there are 4 wires coming out of the socket and going thru the firewall in the harness where they go after that is beyond me but they are there from the factory. Do they have 2 different tow packages from the factory a class 3 and a class 4?

Old 05-31-2012, 09:32 AM
nbrion1
Rookie
Old 05-31-2012, 12:26 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The factory tow package has the 7 pin mounted in the bumper as well as the 4-pin underneath. The braked controller plug under the dash that the brake controller plugs into is also part of the standard factory installed harness. You need the harness that Dog gave you a link to in order for the brake controller you installed to be utilized

Old 05-31-2012, 12:57 PM
zbiggboy
Rookie
Default answer to your question

Originally Posted by 2268irma
I bought a 2008 ram 1500 sport with trailer tow option it only has a 4 wire plug at the back with a blank for the 7 wire plug. I purchased a brake controller harness and pluged it in under the dash the 4 wires go thru the firewall but but I can't find it in the harness where the wires come out for the 4 wire plug at the bumper. also is there a wire installed to charge the trailer battery or will I have to run one? Help
I had the same thing happen to me. Yes you will have to run a hot wire or my the wiring kit from Dodge. In the rear driver's side were the harness is there is a white wire. That white wire is the brake control wire, that comes from under the dash. So you will have to run the 1 hot wire to the battery and the second blue wire splice it to the white wire in the rear. Ta Da that is all.

This took me a few weeks to figure out. As I bought my 08 used last year, and it was a fleet vehicle so I guess this is why it was different. Any questions email me and i can TXT you some pictures.

James

Old 05-31-2012, 03:57 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

There's a wire harness on the backside of the driver's wheel well, towards the frame. This is where the wires come out for the trailer wiring. The third picture on this page shows about what the connector looks like. If you don't have the factory 7-pin, then this connector is probably empty, and you would need the Mopar wire harness, as described above. All 3rd gen Dodge RAMs, regardless of package, come with the 4-pin connector from the factory.

Quick Reply: 7 wire trailer wiring