3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 09:29 AM
Deroneill
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak

I have a coolant leak but I can't pin point where it is coming from. I have pressured up the system to check for leaks but I got nothing leaking when I do that. I only see coolant under the truck after I have driven it around for a bit though. Any ideas?

Thanks

Old 06-04-2012, 11:25 AM
CharlieSheenWins
Professional

Make sure it is indeed coolant first.

Then check all hoses and clamps for cracks or deterioration. Another good thing I found to do was check surrounding areas around the hose for coolant buildup that shouldn't be there.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:27 PM
boopadoopa
Professional

Check the weep hole on the water pump? Mine would only drip after running for a long time and the fluid would evaporate off the pump before i could see where it came from? When i finally saw it I needed to change water pump..

Old 06-04-2012, 02:58 PM
klruff1
Rookie

Definitely check the weep hole, if I remember correctly, it is near the pully (either just above or just below). I just replaced my water pump yesterday on my 2005 Ram 1500 with only 45K miles on the clock. I smelled anti-freeze, then saw it was slightly wet under the truck. If you get under the truck and look up at the fan pulley, then look at the pump, mine was wet by the bottom bolts under the weep hole, and dripping down to the ground. Got a replacement at Advanced Auto.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:32 PM
loflyer2
Professional

Yep, that leak tells you that the seals are wearing out on the water pump. Be sure to keep your coolant bottle filled until you get the new one in.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:16 PM
Deroneill
Rookie

Yea it's definitley coolant. Thanks for the info guys looks like I'll be changing a water pump this weekend!

Old 06-04-2012, 09:57 PM
hyperjay
Rookie

I had a coolant leak a couple months back. It turned out the be the thermostat gasket was bad. Replaced the thermostat, and no more leak. i would start with the easy stuff first. Check the hoses, clamps, and pull the thermostat to look for a bad gasket.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:15 AM
Deroneill
Rookie

I just changed the thermostat a month ago because it was leaking and I've checked the hoses, clamps and thermostat and they are good. The leak is coming from somewhere around the water pump so that's why I agree it needs to be changed.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak