3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New user, few truck issues.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 09:07 PM
Jarret09
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New user, few truck issues.

I've read alot on this forum before i ever joined, so i know theres some very knowledgable people on here that could hopefully help me. I have an 03 Ram 1500 ST with 5.7L hemi, i bought it 3 years ago, has 110k miles on it. It was a theft recovery and I had the aftermarket security system removed because it was causing me to have issues. I believe the test port under the driver side is not getting power because you can not hook up a diagnostic tool to it. I also have a dual flowmaster exhaust on it and no CAT, the front 02 sensor is not hooked up, but the rear one is. I am having problems with my ETC, I read on here how to check the codes found out i have one for my MAP sensor, AIT sensor, and front 02 sensor(understandable). If the ETC is not lit up, my truck will turn on, hit 1500 rpm and then instantly die. Only when the ETC starts flashing will my truck start and run. Alot of people talked about how to remove it and clean it and i done that, no change in performance of it. We lost the key to it a couple months ago and put a new ignition in it and that was when we removed the aftermarket security system, i didn't personally but a local shop that does a lot of electrical work on vehicles done it. We noticed shortly after that it had a lag and was shifting rough aroung 50-60, and now i do not have Overdrive. I used the service manual weedahoe has linked and it was mentioned to check the power from the overdrive button to the solenoid and i did, its all there. So my questions are, should i just replace the ETC? and should i rebuild the overdrive in the tranny?

Old 06-04-2012, 11:26 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

The front O2 is needed to give signal to the PCM to determine many things including AFR by which the PCM uses to adjust parameters in itself. The rear O2 only is used to monitor the efficiency of the front O2

As for should you replace the PCM, IDK.

Welcome to the site BTW

Old 06-05-2012, 12:06 AM
Jarret09

Went outside an took this. Its my front and rear O2 hookup. Could i swap the connector over basically opposite of how they look? And is there a color code i can follow on the wires to do so?
Name:  2012-06-04_23-42-39_475.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  58.6 KB

Old 06-05-2012, 12:13 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

use this link to find the OEM O2 harness pigtail, order it from the dealer and splice it back in place with 3M hear shrink but splices.

http://dto.vftis.com/mopar/disclaimer.asp

As for wiring info, download the Service Manual from the link in my signature and find the wiring color codes in the Electrical section

Old 06-05-2012, 12:18 AM
Jarret09

Ok ill look at that. Would the map sensor or the air intake temp sensor cause my etc light to flash? My truck has no loss of power no hesitation it runs fine(no overdrive) as long as the etc light is flashing. When the light is not on its like the engine kill relay is bad it runs less than a sec and dies. When it starts flashing itll fire up idle and run fine. Any idea as where to start? And i ordered a new map sensor.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:25 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

As far as I can remember, the flashing light means something is failing with the TB or APPS sensor but I might be wrong or not remembering all of it. I do know what it is mentioned in the service manual. Im not trying to push you to download it but I really cant remember right now so thats where I would start. Do a keyword search in the manual to go through it faster

Old 06-05-2012, 12:28 AM
Jarret09

I dled it a couple days ago. I used it to get it running again. Ill search through it some more. If anyone else has some advice id appreciate it, and thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: New user, few truck issues.