3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

RPM tacho moving weird - 2006 1500 5.7 HEMI MDS 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 07:57 AM
Sweller3
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RPM tacho moving weird - 2006 1500 5.7 HEMI MDS 4x4

Hi,

here I come with new problem Few weeks ago I was noticing that rpm needle is moving up and down rapidly for about 200rpm... But I didn't really noticed on engine as it seemed engine is turning at same speed. And when I was approaching red lights I noticed that rpm was down at 300rpm and when standing still rpm remained at 300rpm. I know this is not normal and engine sounded as I idled at 500rpm or so... When I touched throttle it moved rapidly (in really split second) to 750rpm and I couldn't sense such rapid rpm lift on my ***... Ok, then it goes all away...

On Sunday though I was going home and was driving on highway, so I wanted to set cruise control... (on Friday everything worked). Cruise control light was on on dashboard, but It really didn't do anything when I backed off the throttle... And when I was accelerating from about 30mph to 70mph at about 4000+ rpm, engine lost power until I lifted accelerator, then It just seemed that gearbox shifted into right gear and gave me a little push... So when I was accelerating to about 3k rpm there is all normal, I could drove at normal pace... But cruise control wouldn't work...

Then later that day, I was going somewhere with my brother and all worked perfectly again... It was accelerating hard as hell and cruise control worked

This is a bit long explanation, but in general I think everything is related to rpm reading... I didn't found similar problem (I might have missed it) and I don't really know where is rpm sensor located...

Any thoughts on my intermittent problems?

Oh I do have 115k+ miles on my truck...

I found out that I always have something on my truck that keeps me busy during my spare time

Old 06-19-2012, 08:34 AM
Sweller3
Amateur

Just a little bump...

For now, everything is normal. Don't know how I could reproduce this problem, but If it happens again, I will report

Old 06-21-2012, 04:11 PM
Sweller3
Amateur

Oky, today, it done it again... I turned on my obd2 reader and it was showing 650rpm, but tacho was at 300rpm

When I was at 1100rpm+ it showed what it should, cruise control worked as it should.

This means that rpm sensor is all ok, just rpm tacho is not really working well sometimes

Old 06-21-2012, 08:23 PM
dakotatrevor
Professional

Yup...its the gauge. Mine does it too, and I have only read about others with a 2006 on here having the same problem. I believe the stepper motor in the gauge has got dead/flat spots in it...needs to be replaced. The cluster needs to be replaced then, unless you can get and install just the stepper motor.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:35 AM
Sweller3
Amateur

Originally Posted by dakotatrevor
Yup...its the gauge. Mine does it too, and I have only read about others with a 2006 on here having the same problem. I believe the stepper motor in the gauge has got dead/flat spots in it...needs to be replaced. The cluster needs to be replaced then, unless you can get and install just the stepper motor.
Oh, thank you, this is good information When it will annoy me too much, I will get busy and try to replace stepper motor, but as long as transmission and engine work good, it's all good with me

Old 11-27-2012, 06:20 PM
kingerjenn

so i have a 2006 dodge ram 1500 and my husband thought i was going crazy cause i kept telling him about the rpm's not running right and how they would drop to 200 at a red light. and everytime he would drive it nothing would happen. we would scan the truck and nothing pulls. so i decided to google it and see if anyone has had the same issue and and it looks like there are. I don't understand why dodge has not recalled this yet. so what part has to be replaced cause this doesn't make me feel good with having my kids in the veh with me.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:05 AM
Sweller3
Amateur

Originally Posted by kingerjenn
so i have a 2006 dodge ram 1500 and my husband thought i was going crazy cause i kept telling him about the rpm's not running right and how they would drop to 200 at a red light. and everytime he would drive it nothing would happen. we would scan the truck and nothing pulls. so i decided to google it and see if anyone has had the same issue and and it looks like there are. I don't understand why dodge has not recalled this yet. so what part has to be replaced cause this doesn't make me feel good with having my kids in the veh with me.
I think you have to change whole instrument panel, but I recommend you that you just don't look at rpm tacho The most important thing is that your truck receives the right information about engine rpm and this won't cause any problems regarding vehicle safety.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:08 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some vehicles have a recalibration procedure you can do for the gauges.... I would have to look into if 06-08 1500's have that available to them. Might be worth a shot...

If the truck just started doing that out of the blue then I would have to say that it is possibly an electrical issue.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:01 PM
BlacknRed06
Rookie

I believe I read somewhere that there are a few spots on the board that need to be soldered over and it could fix the problem... I think I saw a couple posts on it on this forum.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:47 PM
dakotatrevor
Professional

Originally Posted by BlacknRed06
I believe I read somewhere that there are a few spots on the board that need to be soldered over and it could fix the problem... I think I saw a couple posts on it on this forum.
I pulled my cluster, and reflowed the solder as in that thread on here...it improved my tach, but it still drops to 0 the odd time.

Quick Reply: RPM tacho moving weird - 2006 1500 5.7 HEMI MDS 4x4