3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Opinions on OEM Remote Start vs. Aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 11:15 PM
xJO98
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on OEM Remote Start vs. Aftermarket?

I believe I ran across a Dodge OEM remote start kit for the '05 Ram on the web today. Any opinions on the OEM version versus an aftermarket like Viper or something? I priced out a top of the line Viper remote start/alarm with 2 way transponder and it was $650 installed. I am a little leary about the remote start malfunctioning not allowing me start my truck with the key. It's to my understanding that part of the electronics gets into cut into line with the starter wire. A couple of installers on a guitar forum I belong to told me I'd be better off looking into the OEM remote start. No it doesn't have an alarm, cool pimp my ride two way paging transponder or anything but that I'd be better off in the long run as it will integrate with the truck better. Any opinions? FOr those who have the OEM, how did it install? Would you say it's something a stereo novice is capable of handling? I've never installed an alarm but I have installed complete stereo systems in my and others vehicles.

Old 08-20-2005, 12:59 AM
HemiBuell
Captain
Default RE: Opinions on OEM Remote Start vs. Aftermarket?

I have installed a couple aftermarket alarms. It's really no big deal on most vehicles. Takes a lot of time on some vehicles hunting down the correct wires.

I did have a warranty problem with a Honda that I did an installation on. In fine print on the warranty it said you cannot cut into the main wiring harness. Well, that is the best way to do it in order to keep your installation clean. In the long run it was a sensor that was bad right out of the box and wasn't my fault. But coming to that conclusion was a serious process. So ask your dealer first. Don't let them talk you into them doing it. I think they get over $800.

Go to a reputable shop and get a Viper, you will not have a problem. The first sign of a reputable shop is a place with a wait list before you can get work done.

Or, take your time, plan ahead and do it yourself. It's cheaper and much more satisfying working on your own vehicle.

Old 08-21-2005, 03:44 AM
bullitt1229
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the Viper 791XV installed last November and haven't had a single problem with it yet (knock on wood). As someone else mentioned, the only reason I would go with OEM and have the dealership install it is the fact that if anything goes wrong, they will fix it under warranty. For example, my fiancee had an aftermarket alarm installed on her Mustang and the driver side power door lock went bad and they said it was due to faulty wiring from the alarm. So she had to pay out of pocket to get it fixed. I personally wouldn't get an OEM alarm because the dealership will charge you an arm and a leg. Oh yeah, you can still start the car with they key. You don't have to use the remote start all the time.

Old 08-21-2005, 11:07 PM
xJO98
Rookie

A stereo shop that has put in three DVD systems in for our cars in the past has turned me on to CompuStar alarms. Need to do some research on those vs. Viper.

Quick Reply: Opinions on OEM Remote Start vs. Aftermarket?