3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2003 Dodge ram 1500 Wheel Hub Bearing Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 11:53 PM
BB_cuda
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by broncoremy
Is your truck 4wd? Mine is 2wd and I replaced the drivers side hub with Timken not too long ago. There are the 2 bolts on the bracket that holds the caliper assembly and I *think* those 2 bolts are 18 mm. Then there are the 3 bolts that hold the hub in place on the steering spindle carrier assembly. You didn't ask about those and I cannot remember what size they were but I can check if you need it.
I also have a 2003 2WD. Mine came with 4wheel ABS. I need to change both driver and passenger front wheel bearing assemblies. I would like to use the Timken part also. I have the connector cables on both sides. So, my question is did your Timken have the sensor. If yes, did the connector fit into the OEM harness okay? The Autozone picture online shows the connector and it looks different than my stock connector. I had read elswhere where some were disappointed with this problem. Specifically, it was for a 2006 Ram. The Timken part that i see is SP500100 for a 2WD 2003 Ram 1500 w/5.7 L engine. Thanks

Old 10-29-2012, 06:04 PM
BB_cuda
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had Autozone order one from their warehouse. I brought in my OEM one to compare the connector and it was of course identical. I then ordered 2 off of Rockauto for ~$100 less per side and all was wonderful. I did the upper control arms, lower ball joints, above mentioned hub/bearing assemblies, inner and outer tie rod ends. I never knew the steering was so sloppy. Much tighter now. Just need the 2 wheel alignment done and then she will be near new again.

This all started with a 4 wheel brake job. I bought the wagner thermoquiet pads (Rockauto of course) and had the rotors turned (still are above minimum spec after turning).

Old 10-30-2012, 02:27 PM
DarthSudo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To answer your original question, the axle shaft (castle) nut is 35mm. I think it changed to 36 around '06 (some of the posts I've seen talk about the 35mm not working and needing 36mm).

The calipers were 22mm, if I remember right and the 3 nuts on the inside of the wheal bearing are 18mm. You need to remove the axel shaft to get to those and it seems most people need to pop the upper A-arm to get the axel shaft off.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:48 PM
DarthSudo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, and the axle shaft is rather long, so you need a deep socket as well for that.

Quick Reply: 2003 Dodge ram 1500 Wheel Hub Bearing Issues