3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2003 Dodge ram 1500 Wheel Hub Bearing Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 11:35 PM
Sniperbull
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Dodge ram 1500 Wheel Hub Bearing Issues

So Today while i was driving i started hearing a noise as if i was going over rumble strips while merging left. Brought it over to a friend, and we proceded to jack it up, and determined it was the hub bearing on the right side. I went to work on it earlier this evening after hearing some nasty crunching noised from it, almost like the bearing is siezing up, and realized i dont have the right sockets. Anyone know what socket i need in order to remove the Rotor? Gotta take a trip to the parts store tommmorow morning to borrow one.

Thanks

Old 06-19-2012, 11:36 PM
Sniperbull

also should include, that i have the timken replacement with the 4wheel abs sensor already... Cost a pretty penny for that

Old 06-20-2012, 01:58 AM
NoLimitzR1
Professional

Out here we can rent axle nut socket sets from parts store. I'm assuming that's what you meant. Give that a shot and save money

Old 06-20-2012, 05:48 AM
Nate_sorenson
Veteran

i just had to replace both of my front ones, my driver side had a catastrophic failure and my wheel almost fell off! 148 bucks per hub assembly from chrysler

Old 06-20-2012, 09:45 AM
Sniperbull

Yeah the parts store wont rent the sockets just the wrenchs and breaker bars lol. And got everything off now but the hub bearing. i can get my sockets behind there with the spindle in the way. Damnit

Old 06-20-2012, 12:59 PM
tafet
Professional

Did you pull that front axle out of the way? With axle out of the way you should be able to get to the hub mount bolts easily

Old 06-20-2012, 05:15 PM
broncoremy
Professional

Is your truck 4wd? Mine is 2wd and I replaced the drivers side hub with Timken not too long ago. There are the 2 bolts on the bracket that holds the caliper assembly and I *think* those 2 bolts are 18 mm. Then there are the 3 bolts that hold the hub in place on the steering spindle carrier assembly. You didn't ask about those and I cannot remember what size they were but I can check if you need it.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:16 PM
broncoremy
Professional

Originally Posted by Sniperbull
also should include, that i have the timken replacement with the 4wheel abs sensor already... Cost a pretty penny for that
yep, those puppies are not cheap.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:04 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I bought my hubs off ebay BNIB and shipped for about 45 each. They were for both 2wd and 4wd and had ABS sensors in them. I know you already got it but next time shop around a bit. It can save money for other things.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:41 PM
Sniperbull

Originally Posted by weedahoe
I bought my hubs off ebay BNIB and shipped for about 45 each. They were for both 2wd and 4wd and had ABS sensors in them. I know you already got it but next time shop around a bit. It can save money for other things.

Yeah i hear ya, but i got the timken one from autozone with a 3 year waranty, so i can really complain about that.

and on a side note, i finished the whole thing, and it only took me 6 hours to do so lol. Next time, remind me to shoot myself.

thanks for the help guys

and broncoremy, it was the ones holding the bearing to the spindle carrier assembly. they were 13mm i think but i had to use a shorter socket than what i had...

thanks again

Quick Reply: 2003 Dodge ram 1500 Wheel Hub Bearing Issues