3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2002 Dodge Ram Solid Red Light Nothing Works

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 06:25 PM
timmycagle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Dodge Ram Solid Red Light Nothing Works

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram quad cab 4 wheel drive truck. I went to start it the other day and there was a solid red light on the dash. The truck does nothing. No power, no lights, no starting. I have read several of the threads. I have called the dealership and done what they told me to do. I have taken off the battery cables and touched together for two minuets. I have put the key in and left it in the on position for an hour. I have turned the key back and forth 5 times. Its a 2002 truck with 200K miles. I'm not looking to spend a lot of money getting it repaired. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be? I replaced the battery and alternator three months ago. There was no tampering with the Sentry Key. No one broke into the truck. I parked it and two hours later nothing.

Please help.

TC

Old 07-03-2012, 07:38 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I'd still test the battery, could be something draining it. Next would be to try to pull the code, do you have or know anyone with a tuner or code reader. Pretty hard to diagnose over the 'net without at least having the code...

Old 07-03-2012, 08:43 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Solid red light and no power to anything means a dead battery. Dont assume just because you recently bought it, that it works.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:33 PM
forevachill

same thing as my thread man, you got locked out. some security device that locks you out. ive tried all those same things too n nothing seems to work...

Old 08-01-2018, 12:13 AM
Kenneth Duer
Default [QUOTE=timmycagle;2817367]I have a 2002 Dodge Ram quad cab 4 wheel drive truck. I wen

Originally Posted by timmycagle
I have a 2002 Dodge Ram quad cab 4 wheel drive truck. I went to start it the other day and there was a solid red light on the dash. The truck does nothing. No power, no lights, no starting. I have read several of the threads. I have called the dealership and done what they told me to do. I have taken off the battery cables and touched together for two minuets. I have put the key in and left it in the on position for an hour. I have turned the key back and forth 5 times. Its a 2002 truck with 200K miles. I'm not looking to spend a lot of money getting it repaired. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be? I replaced the battery and alternator three months ago. There was no tampering with the Sentry Key. No one broke into the truck. I parked it and two hours later nothing.

Please help.

TC
I have the same problem with my truck did you ever get it fixed

Old 08-01-2018, 11:54 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Holy 6yr old thread resurrection, Batman!
At least you know where the search function is lol. If you have a SKIM (chipped) key then the red light is for that. If you do NOT, then when that red light happens your battery is shot. Even if it seems to sometimes work, all of a sudden **** won't work and things might go a little haywire. Had this happen on my 03, I don't have SKIM key and got the red light and other issues. Variances in battery voltage cause problems on modern computer controlled vehicles.

Old 04-23-2022, 07:55 PM
Classtevens
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HemiLonestar
Holy 6yr old thread resurrection, Batman!
At least you know where the search function is lol. If you have a SKIM (chipped) key then the red light is for that. If you do NOT, then when that red light happens your battery is shot. Even if it seems to sometimes work, all of a sudden **** won't work and things might go a little haywire. Had this happen on my 03, I don't have SKIM key and got the red light and other issues. Variances in battery voltage cause problems on modern computer controlled vehicles.

I was dropping my kids off before work I shut off my truck, left keys in ignition, left door open, was next to truck entire time talking and when I jumped in and tried to start it 10 minutes later BAM!!! My problems started. I heard a click and then a solid little red light in bottom right corner of dash… the security light. So I disconnected battery and crossed the terminals and got it out of that “mode” truck dings from door open put key in ignition and turn to first position and the cluster seems to work fine, until I try to start it, then it does the same thing. A click from under the hood and Goes right back into that anti theft “mode” with just the solid red light on and when I put key in opposite direction (not sure what it’s called but when you just want to use the radio without car running? That key position) it gives off a load buzzing sound from the steering column? I can get it out of this mode by crossing terminals every time but it seems something is wrong and tripping it as soon as I turn over the ignition. I’ve tried the locking and unlocking door, cycling key from on off 3 times, pulled iOS fuse as well as checked other fuses. I replaced the battery and checked terminals. I called the dodge dealership and they think it’s the key? Or the system that’s supposed to recognize the key? Either way it’s going to cost me ALOT!! So before I shell out the money for a guess from the dealership does anybody have any other guesses that would cost me less? Anything helps and is appreciated!

The following users liked this post:
Benben112617 (09-17-2023)
Old 04-24-2022, 10:38 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 224 Likes on 204 Posts

Quick Reply: 2002 Dodge Ram Solid Red Light Nothing Works