3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Daytona Functional Air Box

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 04:03 AM
Jerdog706
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daytona Functional Air Box

I'm new so be nice! LMAO I just brought home a branny new 2005 Daytona and havent been back to the Parts Department because of my schedule. Does Mopar have an adapter to retrofit the cold air box from the SRT to the Daytona 5.7? I spotted [URL=http://www.ramairhood.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=27] on the net, but the customer service rep(?) (OMG what a stretch of the imagination) wasn't even a LITTLE clear on whether or not that air box would match up to the factory hood....I'm hoping against hope if Dodge doesn't have a retro kit that the RamAirHood Product is more impressive than their website.... Now the question????????? Has anyone installed the RamAirHood Airbox into their Daytona or fingered a Dodge Part to do the trick? If anyone answers in the affirmative, how was the install? Does your truck sound like a Dyson vacuum cleaner? Do you have to throw a raincoat on the hood when it rains? The asking price is $250.00 plus shipping, which isn't astronomical if the thing works. I'm jonesing for more air cuz I just came out of a Trans Am WS6!!! Any responses will be appreciated, and yes, I am familiar with the KN, AirRaid, Volant solutions but would MUCH prefer a COLD air induction kit. Thanks for your help,

Jer

[IMG]local://upfiles/20298/B3241640573B4A3E812EF417EBD82A39.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-24-2005, 10:50 AM
Daytona Ram
Default RE: Daytona Functional Air Box

I installed the Mopar Ram Air Induction but it does not use the hood scoop. I guess because I am dumb, I spend $50 and opened up the hood air scoop but all it does is blow air across the engine compartment. Looks cool though and fools most.

Old 08-24-2005, 09:33 PM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker

yep as stated above the SRT hood is functional only in allowing rain, dirt and air into the engine compartment but does absolutely nothing for intake performance. The stock airbox from an SRT Ram looks very similar to the stock airbox on any other ram only the placement of it location wise is different with it being forward more.

I have attached a picture that you can see the airbox...

[IMG]local://upfiles/3774/7670CE8F8DD14AF39FFCF82367B15DC9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-25-2005, 03:57 AM
Jerdog706

Thanks for the pic, that clears up a lot of questions I had! I truly expected that a motor as awesome as yours would have a "functional" induction kit and it baffles me why Dodge would cheese up on letting that thing breathe. I went to the dealer today and checked out their Mopar "cold air" solution......$369.00 for an aluminized or stainless tube with a KN-type filter band-clamped to the end... Now that I see what your setup is I may be back to square one. I'm still REAL curious about the outfit in Florida......

BTW, thanks for the reply

Old 08-25-2005, 02:57 PM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker

and just to clear something else, that picture was taken of a yellow fever SRT quad that I sold at the beginning of the year, I have a HEMI in the silver truck pic'd in my sig...

Old 08-26-2005, 12:48 AM
Avanti
Captain

My suggestion is to run a hose and pick-up from your closed airbox of choice to an intake cut into the fake, black plastic insert in the bumper/valance. It would hardly show if done correctly and would be high enough to avoid sucking water in most reasonable on-road situations.

If still concerned about potential "hydro-lock" there are relief valves available for this situation that are inserted into the induction system high enough so that if enough water enters the outer-most part of the system vacuum will be released and air inducted at the relief valve. Without sustained vacuum the water exits as it came in.

The only problem when I was looking at these relief valves for another app was that at the time the largest available wasn't sufficient for a 5+ liter V/8, hence more than one would have been needed to be engineered into the system. What I was working on at the time had insufficient space. However, now I believe they are making larger valve assemblies.

Were I doing a low-feeding, cold-air system of any kind I'd consider this kind of safeguard essential. I've seen too many people buy new short-blocks with CAIs that suck water.

All the best.

Old 08-26-2005, 03:24 AM
GoManGo05

I'd love to make my hood functonal to, there has to be a kit out there some where

Old 09-09-2005, 01:21 PM
jeroehner

Hi! I have a '05 Dodge Ram Daytona QC Mango. . .installed a RamAir SRT-10 airbox direct to the throttle body. . .removed the stock hood scoop plate and installed a billet grill from caseyscustoms.com. next step is to add foam rubber around the airbox to totally enclose the airbox with the hood. Haven't dyno'd it yet, but believe I picked up 15-20HP. Weather is not a problem with the K&N filter. Still considering new headers and Hypertech III programmer. Anyone have any input to the latter?

Old 09-12-2005, 04:40 AM
CrazyBee2481

Go to www.hambekcustoms.com They have the set up to make the srt 10 hood 100 % functional with their block off and air box. Its killer ! I got a 440 hood with the same style box and I have no gripes

Old 09-14-2005, 01:07 PM
jeroehner

Ordered the Hood scoop under hood conversion kit for $399 from www.hambekcustoms.com. Should fit the RamAir CAI with no problems. Also ordered the JBA middies (not long-not short) silver ceramic exhaust headers from "autoanything.com" with the "y"-pipe for $799.00 including shipping and no tax. Checked with Dodge, Borla and JBA to make sure that the stock Daytona headers "ARE NOT" tuned to the Borla exhaust system. Can't think of anything else I can do to improve HP vs. thrust with the exception of changing the thermostat to a Hypertech Thermostat or something similiar to it. The only other thing I can change to increase HP is to install a performance cam shaft specifically designed for the Daytona 5.7 Hemi. But that's really too much trouble for a few mor HP. I've already increased my total HP from 345HP to approx 415HP.

Installed the Hypertech Power Programmer III the other day with a slight difference in performance. Response is great, still getting 15.8 mpg on 93 octane with an average speed of 55 mph. Expect to see quite a difference (about +25HP) after I install the headers. The Retrax Roll top cover helps alot. Also keep the tires pumped to 44 psi.

Just keeping in touch, JR

Quick Reply: Daytona Functional Air Box