3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

06 1500 Truck Cab Shaking

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 07:43 PM
Reimche
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 1500 Truck Cab Shaking

When I get up anywhere over about 70km/h the cab of my truck shakes really bad. The steering wheel doesn't shake which points me towards the rear tires. It is bad enough that after a few minutes I get a headache from it.

I had my tires re-balanced as that seemed most logical to me. Made no difference.
Have had two shops look at it, first ones weren't sure and the second tell me its something with my rear rims/tires.

I put on aftermarket rims about a month ago (which were bought and mounted at a local shop), and haven't really been driving the truck outside of town so I haven't noticed anything until I was on the highway last weekend.

Is it possible my rims are somehow to blame?
I pulled my tires off today and checked my rotors and studs, and to my surprise they are reasonably loose to wiggle. I have never tried to wiggle either before so I am not sure what they are supposed to be like.
Could my rotors somehow be causing me this headache?

I have done a fair amount of work on my truck, but never rotors or removing hubs or anything so it's all new to me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Reimche; 07-22-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:48 PM
MoparPaul
Veteran

Rims and/or tires slightly out of round....drive shaft out of balance....u-joints and/or shocks worn. Are the tires new as well?

Old 07-20-2012, 05:45 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

If the shake started after you put the rims on. I would say one of them may be bent or out of round.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:32 PM
luckydt
Veteran

If it is not doing it under braking then most likely it points towards your rim and tires. I had brand new rims and tires on mine and it would do something similar but was very inconsistant. I replaced all rotors, u-joints, had tires rebalanced twice and it still did it. I finally found a shop had a top line tire balancer that uses a laser to check tire roundness and wouldn't you know all 4 tires not rims but tires were mis-shaped like an egg. It's my loss i bought the rim and tire package off ebay and i tried contacting the shop but never got a response. The only thing that helped it slightly was hub rings which are just rubber inserts that go inbetween the hub and rim because most aftermarket rims are universal. They also installed beads to balance the tires instead of the stick weights that it came with. The shop that had hi-tech balancer tried contacting nitto to see if i could get them warrantied but never got a response. good luck brother

Old 07-22-2012, 01:19 PM
Reimche

The cab does shutter upon hard braking at highway speeds. It has done that since before I put the new rims on. My pads/Rotors are only around 14 months old with less than 10K on them.
My rims are a multi bolt universal rim, and no the tires are not new I ran them last year on stock rims with no issues. With the truck jacked up my rims/tires do not wobble side to side, but just spin front to back slightly until the gears catch.

Last night I put on my stock rims w/ winter tires to eliminate the rims/tires as the cause, and it still shakes (although I believe it shakes a bit less) so I guess it's on to U-Joints next and see what happens.

Upon further investigating I have noticed that the gas pedal seems to shake or vibrate when coasting downhill.

Does anyone have a .pdf of the manual for an 06? I have an old one from my previous 02 but it had the 4.7L and I am sure a few things have changed between the years. If I can find my tools I'll swap out the U joints myself.

Last edited by Reimche; 07-22-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:42 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I have had rotors warped so bad they caused a wobble when driving

Old 07-22-2012, 11:33 PM
Reimche

Well...Spent my Sunday evening swapping out my drive shaft U joints.
Had a good feeling about it until I went for a test drive and see the new U joints made no difference.
I guess the next course of action is to look into the rotors, I tested out braking hard on the highway tonight to see if I could get it to shutter again (as it is only occasional) and when it does the whole cab and steering wheel shake. I guess you can't really tell if any rotors are warped until you take them off?
Also, is there a way to check to see if your shocks need to be replaced? Looks pretty basic to swap them out, haven't ever had to do it before... until now.

Talked to the dodge dealership (which I typically refuse to go to since they charge so much) and for around $30 they will do a diagnostic for me and hopefully be able to figure out if it is my rotors, or maybe something different all together. Might be worth it at this point.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:10 PM
HemiRam1566
Veteran

heres my general rule of thumb...if you apply the brakes at a decent speed 60-80kph and the steering wheel shakes side to side thats a general indication that your front rotors are warped... how ever if you just feel the shake or "thump" in the brake pedal thats generally rear rotors or drums from my experience... and then if your steering wheel and brake pedal thumps or shakes thats probably a front and back rotor or drum issue..however in my 07 ram 4x4 with 33 inch tires and offset aftermarket rims i have a steering wheel wobble side to side OCCASIONALLY when braking from 120-140kph which could be the larger tires are a bit out of round or a band has shifted a bit or a loose tie rod in the front end, haven't really looked into it yet.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:48 PM
Reimche

Had my rotors and pads replaced as my rotors were apparently a bit warped. Guy said they weren't bad enough to cause the truck to shake when not braking though.

Anyway a few hundred bucks later and new brakes, and I still am having the same issue! At least the steering wheel and truck don't shake on braking anymore, just when driving on the highway.

Anyone with any suggestions on what to try next, starting to run our of options...

Old 07-28-2012, 04:24 PM
hemi4109
Veteran

Well just a shot in the dark but if you had your gearing redone with all your recent work, your dry shaft will be spinning a fair bit more than before. If it so happened to be a little out of balance before, that will be multiplied now. Now since you're only talking about 70 clicks, I doubt that would shake the cab. Big shot in the dark for sure but you seem to have checked everything else.

Last edited by hemi4109; 07-28-2012 at 06:25 PM.

Quick Reply: 06 1500 Truck Cab Shaking