3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fan/AC Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 09:29 PM
07RamFan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fan/AC Issues

Hi guys,

I'm having a problem with my '07 QC SLT HEMI.. It started last year, but due to being on the road for weeks at a time working, it wasn't a big deal.

OK: When the a/c is on, after about 45 minutes,sometimes less, the fan output just drops off. It will get to the point that you have it on high, & little to no air flow. Even with a normal output, I can flip the speed **** from Off to High, & as you do it will gradually slow down to low speed.

My first thought was that it was low on 134, checked it & its all normal,I've changed the blower motor resister, checked all the fuses, pulled the glove box & checked the recirc door & blend door, its all good.

Is it possibly the blower motor itself? or the speed switch?

Thanks,

Matt

Old 07-25-2012, 10:09 PM
07RamFan

bump..

Old 07-26-2012, 12:06 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Well first thing I would do is take my volt meter and check the resistor block for 12v and less at each terminal just to verify its working. Do this especially when the issue occurs.

Next would be to test the voltage at the fan when this issue occurs.

If both check out fine then I think it is safe to say it is one of the blend doors

Old 07-29-2012, 12:33 AM
07RamFan

I've checked the resistor, after reading some threads where several ppl had a blower motor with high resistance that blew the new resistor... Its fine.

I did notice that with the fan unbolted & sitting in the floor, if I switched the fan speed controller on/off rapidly, the motor would basically "freeze". You tap it, it started up fine.. But for whatever reason, after I hooked it to a 12v power supply for testing, it hasn't acted up..

Old 07-29-2012, 08:48 AM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

chances are the bearings in the motor are worn and slowly seizing up due to increased heat and friction after it has run for a while. You'll be money ahead if you replace it now, and not wait until it does seize and possibly pop a fuse, or take out the resistors, or worse yet, possibly damage the control center---I understand they are kinda pricey to replace.

Check rock auto, they seem to have the best prices for most stuff

Old 07-29-2012, 10:06 AM
bggdgg
Default A/C Blower

Just had the same problem on my 2007. Replaced blower motor. Everything works fine now.

Quick Reply: Fan/AC Issues