3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2004 SRT10 Ram w/2005? Engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 01:58 PM
jim ryan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 SRT10 Ram w/2005? Engine

Is it possible to find the original engine ID# for 2004 SRT10 Ram with VIN#? Ordered replacement engine for this Truck from Chrysler from VIN#, received and found crankshaft sensor location and configuration different from engine in truck. Contacted Chrysler parts specifying who the asked for casting #s on engine and we were told engine in truck was 2005. No evidence that engine had been replaced or wire harness (which would have had to have been replaced or modified with different crank sensor). This truck was a late 2004 production (May 26th 2004), could it have been originally assembled with a 2005 engine? Chrysler won't let dealer return engine as they tell dealer engine must of been replaced at some point with the 2005 engine. There is no evidence that this engine has been replaced, anyone out there know how I can identify that this was the original engine? Thanks for any help we can get.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:17 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

You can get a build sheet and a CarFax and try to prove its the original engine but IDK how far thats going to get you. Dealers and Manufactures do what they want.

Im sending you a PM though

Old 07-26-2012, 07:38 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

What I dont get is this.

Originally Posted by jim ryan
...Contacted Chrysler parts specifying who the asked for casting #s on engine and we were told engine in truck was 2005.....
If you gave them the casting #'s directly off the engine, then how can they say it must have been replaced, AND that the engine they gave is the same? If the engine was replaced, they would have known by the casting numbers you provided them with. Or, is that just what they are saying? That they provided you with a 2004 engine and someone installed a 2005 in the truck later on?

Other than the sensor locations, is there anything different internally or elswhere that would effect the performance if hooked up to a 2004 vs 2005 ecu?
Since Chrysler and many other dealers change parts and ID #'s so frequently, it doesnt surprise me they can't get this right for you. I bet that they had an engine left over and used it for your build at the plant to save time and money. Manufacturing plants do that all the time.
I'll see what I can dig up to help you out.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:00 PM
bleachcola
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats going on with this truck and why does it need a 3rd engine?

maybe drop in a viper killer (cummins)

Quick Reply: 2004 SRT10 Ram w/2005? Engine