3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

That time of the year, AC issues!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 09:59 PM
flatsix02
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That time of the year, AC issues!

First time posting, but I'm helping a friend with his 03 hemi 1500, and am resorting to outside help! I'm a very mechanically inclined person, and was able to diagnose what I thought was the only issue right away, but I'm thinking he also has an issue with his condenser fan motor.

Initially his compressor went bad, I raised his RPM's to 1500 from idle to take a reading on the psi in the system, and his compressor began to smoke. It already was sporadically kicking on and off prior to me testing the psi, and the system had the right amount of freon. At the time of diagnosis, the condenser fan was working under idle. After installing the new compressor and charging the system, the condenser fan seems to not work anymore. He's getting ice cold ac on the highway, but not at idle or very low speeds, obviously related to the fan.

I've checked the relay and fuse, replaced with new ones, even though the fuse was ok, and still no working fan. Is he just that unlucky that the fan motor took a dump right after the compressor did? Any other diagnostic's I should do before replacing his fan motor?

thanks
scott

Old 07-26-2012, 12:09 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

When the AC is on, the condenser fan should be on ALL the time. At highway speeds there is enough air passing through the grill to keep everything cool. But at idle/stop sign/red light/ect, there is no air moving and the fan picks up the slack by pulling air through it.

Thus no fan working, no cool AC.

Verify 12+v on the motor wire, if not voltage then check fuse and replace fan if needed

Quick Reply: That time of the year, AC issues!