3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Throttle body cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 12:35 PM
Dead2Fall
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I clean mine, my general rule is to keep the electronic side up at all times to be sure nothing drips into it. You can but throttle body cleaner too.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:36 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

If you have the time while your in all of this reseting The pcm the same way you just removed the neg. batt cable but if you didnt do this last time after you remove the cable turn the key all the way forward and let it sit for a little while(Some say 30 sec. some say 30 min. find a happy medium) Then turn the key off and put back on the cable. Then the Throttle Position Sensor(Even though thats probally not your problem it wont hurt)By Turning the key all the way forward but not running and press thee pedal down slowly then release slowly turn the key off and thats done.
even if you dont try these tricks let us know what you find out or if your CEl comes on!

Old 08-14-2012, 12:36 PM
EEE23238

Thanks! I appreciate it. Hopefully I won't destroy my truck because I'm stubborn enough to want to fix it by myself.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:47 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by EEE23238
Thanks! I appreciate it. Hopefully I won't destroy my truck because I'm stubborn enough to want to fix it by myself.
You will be fine these guys on here have books and countless pics on how to do simple stuff like this. Refer to them for any question you have and most will be glad to help you. You will probally get a couple more good opinions on your problem before the day is over!

Old 08-14-2012, 12:58 PM
ewing111
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you got those evap codes cleared up with the cracked hose since you haven't got any codes back. Not sure if shutting off at idle is related to the throttle body, but cleaning it is very easy and couldn't hurt anything. It's a good suggestion to keep the sensor vertical to avoid it getting spray. Resetting the TPS could definitely help as well. Good luck!

Old 08-14-2012, 01:15 PM
EEE23238

Originally Posted by willdikem66
You will be fine these guys on here have books and countless pics on how to do simple stuff like this. Refer to them for any question you have and most will be glad to help you. You will probally get a couple more good opinions on your problem before the day is over!
Good, because I'm going to need it! I have terrible luck with vehicles! This time I thought I did a good job researching. The seller had all the service records and it was maintained consistently at the dealer. I got a great deal on the truck because it had the CEL on and the poor lady just needed to get rid of it because her husband had a stroke or something and can't drive anymore. Was a bit nervous about the codes, but after having them read, I felt confident that the problem was minimal and was really dang proud of myself when I found the cracked hose and fixed it.

Now just hoping the transmission and engine don't go like they did on my Ford!

Old 08-14-2012, 01:25 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Good, because I'm going to need it! I have terrible luck with vehicles! This time I thought I did a good job researching. The seller had all the service records and it was maintained consistently at the dealer. I got a great deal on the truck because it had the CEL on and the poor lady just needed to get rid of it because her husband had a stroke or something and can't drive anymore. Was a bit nervous about the codes, but after having them read, I felt confident that the problem was minimal and was really dang proud of myself when I found the cracked hose and fixed it.

Now just hoping the transmission and engine don't go like they did on my Ford!
Dont cross your fingers Dodges have had the title of the trickiest truck out there since day one. But it sounds like you have a great truck and once you get this small kink worked out youll have a even better truck.!
GOOD LUCK and remember post back on here if you fix it or brake it more!

Old 08-14-2012, 02:22 PM
Dead2Fall
Captain

Originally Posted by willdikem66
If you have the time while your in all of this reseting The pcm the same way you just removed the neg. batt cable but if you didnt do this last time after you remove the cable turn the key all the way forward and let it sit for a little while(Some say 30 sec. some say 30 min. find a happy medium) Then turn the key off and put back on the cable. Then the Throttle Position Sensor(Even though thats probally not your problem it wont hurt)By Turning the key all the way forward but not running and press thee pedal down slowly then release slowly turn the key off and thats done.
even if you dont try these tricks let us know what you find out or if your CEl comes on!
Buckle the seatbelt
Pull the PCM fuse
Turn the key to the on position
Wait for the 3 chimes then turn to off
Put the fuse back in and it is now reset.

Easier way, and keeps all your radio settings and whatnot! Also, I believe resetting the PCM re-zeroes the IAC and TPS anyhow.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:30 PM
EEE23238

Originally Posted by Dead2Fall
Buckle the seatbelt
Pull the PCM fuse
Turn the key to the on position
Wait for the 3 chimes then turn to off
Put the fuse back in and it is now reset.

Easier way, and keeps all your radio settings and whatnot! Also, I believe resetting the PCM re-zeroes the IAC and TPS anyhow.
Where is this magical PCM fuse? Right now there are no settings on anything because I pulled the battery and haven't reset anything. But this is good info to know. Will pulling this fuse do something different than what disconnecting the battery did? (I mean other than not zeroing out your radio presets)

Old 08-14-2012, 02:38 PM
Dead2Fall
Captain

Where is this magical PCM fuse? Right now there are no settings on anything because I pulled the battery and haven't reset anything. But this is good info to know. Will pulling this fuse do something different than what disconnecting the battery did? (I mean other than not zeroing out your radio presets)
No it'll do the same thing pretty much, it's just nice to keep radio settings and you get that confirmation 3chime so you know without a doubt it reset. As for the fuse it's in your fusebox, not sure what number on the 03. Just look in the lid for the one that says PCM or Power control module.

Quick Reply: Throttle body cleaning