3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Upper ball joint stuck, impossible to remove

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 07:03 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was gonna say, if they are one piece, I did some real "FM" when I did mine. There are offset uppers to adjust the camber, I think, If I remember right, they up to 3 deg in 1/2 degree increments. Mine turned out to be zero, so I got lucky. I ended up having to cut mine with a grinder to drop the knuckle, then pounded them out with a sledge. Hope you install the serviceable ones.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:16 PM
sabin420
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With all the trouble you went through heating and beating. I noticed a problem with my 1500 lower ball joints trying to press them out with the same brand tool you have. I found out that the medium sized collar was just slightly too small and actually rested on the edge of the ball joint instead of around it so using the tool made it impossible. What I ended up doing was cutting a slit in the collar of the ball joint removal tool and letting it expand around the ball joint while I tried to press it out. It made it a lot easier to pull out. The collar barely fit around the new ball joint which made me think it would fit the factory one. You might want to check it out to see if it is the same way on yours. Modifying my tool made it effortless to remove the ball joint.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:05 AM
DiyRye
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out the most recent pics I posted. It will show that the ball joint was not originally put in right/straight and everything got mashed up when it was jammed in crooked from factory.

Quick Reply: Upper ball joint stuck, impossible to remove