3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

DOES ANYONE KNOW ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 08:59 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DOES ANYONE KNOW ?

Alright everyone, we all know how the gas prices are killing everyones wallet--right? Well I know that Rams exist that have the e85 options on them, and the owners manual even talks to it, and the little idiosyncracies of temps and such. The question--does anyone know what it takes to convert a conventional engine (especially Hemi) to this package. At the time I ordered mine, they only showed it for fleet vehicles. Well, in a small town, not so far away, there is a station selling E85 for normal street use, and it's around 1.69/gal--- ya, you read it right !! With the 345 cu in engine, its plenty big enough. I can afford to lose a little power if means getting to pay less at the pump.
From what the manual says, you don't have to make any ecu changes to run it, provided of course, it set up for to begin with.

Thanks for info you might be able to pass along

Old 08-27-2005, 05:09 PM
alienyzf
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DOES ANYONE KNOW ?

E85? is that the flexifuel methonol? I misread and thought you were talking about the MDS system. Sorry, but you can still compare the math vs cost.

From what I understand of the system there are selenoid buried in the engine to keep the valves shut. So it depends if they are already there on not if it would be cost effective. Up to 20% better gas mileage equates to 3.2 mpg of 16 mpg. At 15000 mi/yr the best savings at 2.70/gal equals $422. I doubt I would see the full 20% savings so it will take a few years to pay for itself depending on the upgrade cost.

If you are really hard pressed to save some gas money, leave 15 minutes earlier and drive slower to get the rpm at 1500. You have to have the 3.21 axle to get this which is about 55 to 60mph. I'll get a more efficient truck the next time around. I think the demand will go down in a year or two as people buy more efficient cars at part of their new car choice.