3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My Engine Noise - Rod or Crank Bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 12:38 AM
sixdoubleo
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sabin420
You have a 2003, if you do look into an engine swap ever...remember, you can only get an engine from another 2003. You can tell because the 03 has no EGR hole in the passenger's side cylinder head where a 04 and up will on the front. Also I am told that their are a different number of teeth on the crank sensor gear.
Right...if I did a swap I would make certain it was an '03. Wouldn't want to deal with any minor variances in computer settings, etc. I'm hoping it doesn't come to that though.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:44 AM
sabin420
Captain

Take care of it ASAP. Don't put it off, and you won't have anything to worry about...and I suggest changing the timing chain before 160K. Mine stretched and jumped a tooth at 199,983 miles.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:59 AM
wingnutks
Professional

Originally Posted by sixdoubleo
Thanks for that. I'm really hoping it's a lifter so I'm not having to deal with an engine swap.

Just a couple notes. My 2003 does not have MDS....not sure if that matters. Also, my engine actually runs fine. No rough idle or misfires. If it wasn't making the noise, you wouldn't suspect anything was wrong.
If it was a lifter knocking like that I'm 99% sure you'd have misfire problems and a rough idle (I did). How is your oil pressure?

Old 08-26-2012, 01:54 AM
sixdoubleo
Rookie

Originally Posted by wingnutks
If it was a lifter knocking like that I'm 99% sure you'd have misfire problems and a rough idle (I did). How is your oil pressure?
Hmmm. You're probably right. But I was thinking that a lifter that doesn't pump up all the way would simply have too much slop between the cam lobe, pushrod and rocker...and not open the valves as much as they should for that specific cylinder. Depending on the severity, it may or may not lead to misfires. I've had stuck lifters in the past (on old small block Chevy's) that didn't cause a noticeable effect on performance.

Oil pressure is great.....at least according to the stock gauge.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:07 AM
sixdoubleo
Rookie

Originally Posted by sabin420
Take care of it ASAP. Don't put it off, and you won't have anything to worry about...and I suggest changing the timing chain before 160K. Mine stretched and jumped a tooth at 199,983 miles.
I'm currently not driving the truck so no worries there. It's parked until I figure it out. Firing it up today for the videos was the first time I've started it since the knock developed.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:27 AM
austinbest
Amateur

03/04/05 are the same less the EGR. I put an 03 in my 04 and it bolted up fine, every plug was fine, every sensor. Only CEL is for the EGR which i will soon figure out how to bypass. 02/06 wouldn't work however.

If the heads are not damaged, swap them and avoid the hole in the head... Or get a block off plate, either way.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:29 PM
74hemi04ram

I have an 04 Hemi with this same noise. It also sounds like bottom end. Bought truck with 38K now has 101K. Oil changed every 5K with Mobile One synthetic. Twice over that time the oil pressure gauge has dropped to nothing while driving. Once was pulling to stop light and was able to shut off and restart. The other had to shift to neutral, shut off and restart on the fly. Both times oil pressure was restored. Would this have anything to do with the noise or just a freak thing? Please post what you have found with your Ram.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:26 PM
wingnutks
Professional

Originally Posted by 74hemi04ram
I have an 04 Hemi with this same noise. It also sounds like bottom end. Bought truck with 38K now has 101K. Oil changed every 5K with Mobile One synthetic. Twice over that time the oil pressure gauge has dropped to nothing while driving. Once was pulling to stop light and was able to shut off and restart. The other had to shift to neutral, shut off and restart on the fly. Both times oil pressure was restored. Would this have anything to do with the noise or just a freak thing? Please post what you have found with your Ram.
I had that happen twice to me. I just had a couple sets of lifters replaced because they were gummed up and staying stuck empty and not pumping up. They also dropped the oil pan and the pickup was blocked with sludge.

Where is your oil pressure on your gauge when you are driving and where is it when you are idling?

Old 09-02-2012, 12:05 PM
74hemi04ram

Oil gauge reads the same no matter what. Just a hair over center. Just the stock dummy gauge and has always read that way.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:15 PM
wingnutks
Professional

Originally Posted by 74hemi04ram
Oil gauge reads the same no matter what. Just a hair over center. Just the stock dummy gauge and has always read that way.
really? My stock guage is not a dummy gauge at all. It does not have specific values of course, but it is accurate enough to show me distinct variations when the oil is cold/warm. Idle and acceleration changes.

Quick Reply: My Engine Noise - Rod or Crank Bearing?