3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My Engine Noise - Rod or Crank Bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 01:10 PM
T-Rays
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is an 03 4.7 and my oil never moves from half

Old 09-13-2012, 08:15 PM
sixdoubleo
Rookie

Hey look I think I found the problem. That hole isn't supposed to be there is it??

Threw a rod the other night while running SeaFoam through the engine (thinking it was a stuck lifter). At least now I know....

Old 09-13-2012, 09:55 PM
wingnutks
Professional

Holy hell! That happened while you were running seafoam thru the motor in the driveway?

Old 09-13-2012, 11:20 PM
sixdoubleo
Rookie

Originally Posted by wingnutks
Holy hell! That happened while you were running seafoam thru the motor in the driveway?
No I was running it around the streets near my house....going about 35-40mph. By the way...I'm not at all suggesting that the Seafoam had anything to do with this. I'm just saying the diagnosis at the time was that there was a stuck lifter and therefore I was performing a "flush" of sorts to try and free the lifter. It would have certainly thrown the rod with or without the Seafoam...just a matter of time.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:32 AM
wingnutks
Professional

Originally Posted by sixdoubleo
No I was running it around the streets near my house....going about 35-40mph. By the way...I'm not at all suggesting that the Seafoam had anything to do with this. I'm just saying the diagnosis at the time was that there was a stuck lifter and therefore I was performing a "flush" of sorts to try and free the lifter. It would have certainly thrown the rod with or without the Seafoam...just a matter of time.
I agree with that. Sorry about the luck man.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:29 PM
sixdoubleo
Rookie

Got a chance to pull the oil pan, and holy crap, there was some serious damage! I've honestly never seen one this bad. You'd think I was turning 10,000RPM or something! I haven't got the windage tray off yet so I think there might be more debris in there. I'm wondering if it jumped time. Might pull the timing cover tomorrow.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:36 PM
sabin420
Captain

That doesn't look like damage from jumping timing....that would tear up the top end and not damage the bottom end like that. Looks more like failure due to a worn wrist pin due to lack of oil. That's the only thing I know that will shatter a piston. If it was a bearing failure, usually it leaves the top half of the piston intact in the cylinder when the breaks at the bottom first. Take the heads off and see if your valves are still good. If so, you might have a buyer for them right here

Old 09-19-2012, 10:43 PM
sixdoubleo
Rookie

Originally Posted by sabin420
That doesn't look like damage from jumping timing....that would tear up the top end and not damage the bottom end like that. Looks more like failure due to a worn wrist pin due to lack of oil. That's the only thing I know that will shatter a piston. If it was a bearing failure, usually it leaves the top half of the piston intact in the cylinder when the breaks at the bottom first. Take the heads off and see if your valves are still good. If so, you might have a buyer for them right here
Yeah you're right. I popped the valve cover off on that side and the valve springs and everything looked good. Nothing bent...pushrods seated just fine.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:16 AM
Tj Wright
Default 2500 mega cab

My truck just started doing this the oil pressure gauge dropped yesterday so I thought you know throw some oil in her until I get paid today to change. well only when I accelerate it got worse and worse I don't know what it could be. When it idles it's very noticeable and very worrying any inputs would be great

Quick Reply: My Engine Noise - Rod or Crank Bearing?