3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HID conversion question

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 05:25 AM
shoedork
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID conversion question

I have a set of stage 2 Phillips 6000K HID's that I plan to put in my fog lites and also plan to put a similar set in my headlights, now my question is, will the headlight housing and foglight housing hold up? I know that factory original parts are made alot better than aftermarket parts, but in any rate I was curious to know if anyone has done an HID conversion on their truck.

[sm=vader.gif]

Old 08-28-2005, 01:27 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker
Default RE: HID conversion question

Not a Ram, but my buddy has an HID conversion using the stock housing in a 2001 Durango.

Old 08-29-2005, 05:36 PM
Avanti
Captain

True HID aftermarket headlight replacement systems were made illegal a while back because they do not have the automatic, self-adjusting feature as required by law and used in OEM configurations. That doesn't mean they aren't for sale, of course. I'd assume (perhaps incorrectly) that other true HID lights would be subject to the same regulations, since the same risk exists regarding blinding oncoming drivers.

Thought you might wish to know.

Old 09-07-2005, 09:53 PM
shoedork
Professional

Yes i know they are totally illegal if they are not factory installed. Some dealerships are offering them as an upgrade (the chevrolet dealership I was dealing with in the past when i owned an S-10, had that as one of their dealer installed options). The main problem ppl are havin' with the trus HID xenon sytems is, if the have it installed in a civic or some other ricer, cops are checking serial numbers to see if it is a stolen set out of a lexus,acura, etc..... But anyway, the crisp bright light looks helluva better than the stock lighting set up.

Old 09-07-2005, 11:13 PM
HemiBuell
Captain

Or you could not do this and save oncoming drivers eyes. If your eyes are that bad that you can't see with stock lights you shouldn't be driving. Other than that HID sucks for other drivers.

Old 09-08-2005, 04:09 AM
shoedork
Professional

It is not a issue of my eyes being bad nor is it a waste of money at all, and besides i know what you mean about blinding the other drivers( that sh*t drives me nuttz), but if they re-aimed their headlights like you are supposed to then they wouldn't be blinding other ppl.

Old 09-08-2005, 12:36 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Yes, the lights need to be aimed. The other "problem" with HID is that there is a sharp delineation of where there is light versus no light. Stand in front of a pair of true HID and you will see what I mean. With regular lights there is a more diffuse pattern around the edge of light that is shown.

Old 09-08-2005, 12:43 PM
|3|ackAc|D
Record Breaker

haha, mine havve that bright HID look, with the crisp white glow, and i can blind people for 50$

and these are just stock replacement!

(low beams just head lights and fogs, not behind the grill fogs)

Nokya Stage II Hyper White 9007/9006!

Quick Reply: HID conversion question