3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Another header thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 05:25 PM
05hemi
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another header thread

I'm a little curious as to how after-market headers are actually different than the stock set up. I've searched the forum on this topic, but I'm looking for specific info on how they work, and how after-market is better over stock, and the difference between shorties and long tube headers. I understand the prinicpals behind air intake systems and cat-back systems, but not being mechanically inclined, I'm a little lost with headers. I don't need to now how much they cost or who manufactures them, I'm more interested in the mechanics behind the principal. Also, the y-pipe that I keep reading about, why is it important or not important to replace this piece. Any mechanical info would be most appreciated.

Old 08-29-2005, 12:44 AM
sig
Professional
Default RE: Another header thread

my basic understanding is this:

similar to an intake(more air enters engine);headers allow more(wider tubes) exhaust to exit the mainfold(less restriction),down and out through a performance exhaust with less restriction.
y-pipes= are also enarged to match exhaust tubing. with all this enlarged tubing comes more
HORSEPOWER!!!!!

Old 08-29-2005, 12:48 AM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Get some supermaxx long tube headers and you won't regret it. As far as differences...with the aftermarket long tube headers, there is less restriction and more flow thus the gas is exiting faster with the decreased back pressure which increases HP. Long tube headers are considered better, especially for our application, because of the primary lengths. You get a more laminar exhaust flow and greater exit speed of the gasses. Shorty headers are needed in certain instances. For example, someone shoehorning a 5.7L corvette motor into thier S-10. There just isn't enough room.

Hope this helps.

It is also nice to see everyone again. Just got power last night. Some of us are still without power here in South Florida. Also, you guys in the path of Katrina better get the hell out of Dodge as it will pack quite a wallop...and then some.

Old 08-29-2005, 02:13 AM
YeahItsAHemi345
Record Breaker

Well, all I know is that the stock headers(if you can call them that) suck! Anything would be better then them...even some shortys...but your right long tubes are the way to go.

Old 08-29-2005, 05:26 PM
Avanti
Captain

Osteodoc knows of what he speaks.

Trust me on this (I've seen and done waaaayyy too much dyno work), if you cannot go with long-tubes and all appropriate attendant mods (free flowing air cleaner, metal-matrix hi-flow cats, and appropriate cat-back system), DON'T waste your money.

All the best.

Old 08-30-2005, 12:52 PM
AZFlyingDiver

Check this out for some interesting reading on exhaust theory (including headers!):
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Miscella...austtheory.htm

Old 08-30-2005, 03:19 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Interesting reading. Thanks for the link. Was suprised, or was I, with this tidbit...
According to the flowbench, two of the best flowing units you can buy are the Walker Dyno Max and the Cyclone Sonic. They even slightly out flow the straight through designs from HKS and GReddy BL series. Amongst the worst, are the Thrush Turbo and Flow Master mufflers. We'll flow some of the newer mufflers as they become available at our local Chief auto
Hmmm, Flowmaster no good. Wonder how long ago the study was and which muffler they tested.

Quick Reply: Another header thread