3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mevotech Lower Ball Joint Pics (PRON@!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 01:20 AM
guitman32
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mevotech Lower Ball Joint Pics -MODS PLEASE REMOVE WORK UNSAFE WORD FROM TITLE :)

Just received my Mevotech lower ball joints for my 04 Ram 1500 2wd...thought since there seems to be so much interest I would post pics to let the world see...

I particularly want to hear how these looks compared to the MOOG pieces. Only thing I can flaw is the casting on the face of the Zerk is a little sloppy...nothing that carries into the threads or the nipple area...

Ill update on how they install...

Last edited by guitman32; 09-09-2012 at 12:42 AM. Reason: WORK SAFE TITLE
Old 09-05-2012, 02:08 AM
vietti
Amateur

that would be great i need to do the same thing to my 04

Old 09-07-2012, 12:00 AM
guitman32
Rookie

Can anyone at least confirm if MOOG parts are still made the USA?

It is my understanding that they are now made elsewhere like most other commercially available parts?

Old 09-08-2012, 06:22 PM
sabin420
Captain

looks the same to me. I put moog on my truck a week ago, same black look, except you got a blue boot protector...mine was black.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:42 AM
guitman32
Rookie

Cool thanks appreciate the feedback!

MODS- Can you please remove non-work safe word from thread title - a friend told me he doesnt want to risk it (****)

Old 09-11-2012, 11:57 PM
kevdadi

Very nice.
I just replaced one of my lower ball joints from Advanced Auto Parts- their $14 part looks damned near identical (black boot) with greasable fitting. Apparently I replaced the non-servicable stockers...
Managed to get ONE done, and tomorrow will be the next- had to figure out the clamp tool after a while.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:03 PM
guitman32
Rookie

Originally Posted by kevdadi
Very nice.
I just replaced one of my lower ball joints from Advanced Auto Parts- their $14 part looks damned near identical (black boot) with greasable fitting. Apparently I replaced the non-servicable stockers...
Managed to get ONE done, and tomorrow will be the next- had to figure out the clamp tool after a while.
Awesome, I paid $40 for each of these, and Id put money that yours are nearly identical...

Which ball joint press kit did you use to remove the old ball joints? Beaten to death, but Im debating buying the Harbor Freight 4x4 kit (supposedly drop forged vs the "3-in-1" kit, which is cast - as advertised on their site).

I went today and sure enough the part number on the C-frame for each kit is different (one is etched in the frame, the other just has a sticker but no S/N etched in the frame), though the quality looks nearly identical (including the China stamping on each). Maybe this is why some folks have luck with the HF kit and others dont?

Old 09-12-2012, 10:10 PM
sabin420
Captain

Originally Posted by guitman32
Which ball joint press kit did you use to remove the old ball joints? Beaten to death, but Im debating buying the Harbor Freight 4x4 kit (supposedly drop forged vs the "3-in-1" kit, which is cast - as advertised on their site).

I went today and sure enough the part number on the C-frame for each kit is different (one is etched in the frame, the other just has a sticker but no S/N etched in the frame), though the quality looks nearly identical (including the China stamping on each). Maybe this is why some folks have luck with the HF kit and others dont?
How to use the HF 3-in-1 ball joint kit:

-First take the medium sized ring and cut a slit down one side of the ring splitting it apart.
-Next, when you set up the tool, make sure you have easy access to the slit. *
-Start applying pressure to the top of the ball joint to push it out of the bottom.
-With a flat head screwdriver or pry bar, start spreading the ring.
-Keep applying more pressure and spreading the ring until the ring snaps around the outer edge of the lower ball joint.
-Continue applying pressure until the ball joint falls out of the lower control arm. **

* You may need to grind down the edge of the ring so it can slide behind the back of the ball joint between the main body of the lower control arm and the outer ring of the ball joint.

** You may need to use a breaker bar to compress the tool and be sure the ring has seated ALL THE WAY around the ring on the ball joint.

It took me 5 hours to remove the first ball joint. I was able to change out the other side in less than an hour after figuring out this method.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:07 AM
guitman32
Rookie

Originally Posted by sabin420
How to use the HF 3-in-1 ball joint kit:

-First take the medium sized ring and cut a slit down one side of the ring splitting it apart.
-Next, when you set up the tool, make sure you have easy access to the slit. *
-Start applying pressure to the top of the ball joint to push it out of the bottom.
-With a flat head screwdriver or pry bar, start spreading the ring.
-Keep applying more pressure and spreading the ring until the ring snaps around the outer edge of the lower ball joint.
-Continue applying pressure until the ball joint falls out of the lower control arm. **

* You may need to grind down the edge of the ring so it can slide behind the back of the ball joint between the main body of the lower control arm and the outer ring of the ball joint.

** You may need to use a breaker bar to compress the tool and be sure the ring has seated ALL THE WAY around the ring on the ball joint.

It took me 5 hours to remove the first ball joint. I was able to change out the other side in less than an hour after figuring out this method.

Cutting the slit prevents you from having to make your own adapter out of pipe I assume....saw your other post but you went into more detail here...I and im sure many others will appreciate it!!!

Oh and Ill let you know how your method goes when I get around to installing...my suspension is really sounding obnoxious so I need to get under here ASAP...

OH,,,and did you freeze your ball joints prior to pressing?

Last edited by guitman32; 09-13-2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:25 AM
kevdadi

The press kit at advanced auto costs $170 to rent - fully refundable. There were so many adapters/combinations that it took me a while to figure it out. Looking forward to changing the second ball joint tonight and getting my deposit money back.

Quick Reply: Mevotech Lower Ball Joint Pics (PRON@!)