3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Removing the Hemi Engine without the Lifting Fixture

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2023, 11:23 AM
sethagreen
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I wouldn't do this!

Originally Posted by sixdoubleo
Excellent...that makes perfect sense. I pulled the intake off my old engine just to get a better look at things, but want to put the new engine in with the intake on and all buttoned up. Sounds like your method works fine with the intake installed? How about the throttle body? Did you remove that or leave it on? Seems like it might be in the way.
I don't know if this is how you reply, I'm new. I made an account just to warn you that this method can go very, very wrong. I hooked on this way putting a brand new crate engine in. While it was in the air, one of the threaded holes for the ground bolts broke through the top of the head, it caused a drop that broke the other side dumping my engine about 8 inches into the bay. I risked it and installed it anyway and haven't had a problem. I don't remember where now, but I attached the grounds somewhere else. I'm very lucky it didn't cause a crack in the heads or break into the surface for the covers. I believe that was the most epic fit I've ever thrown! I have seen guys successfully use this method though. I ended up strapping around the exhaust manifold and now have a passenger exhaust leak. I don't understand why they don't have lift points like every other engine. I'm going to fabricate a factory plate, but still feel nervous considering how small the intake bolts are. Absolutely ridiculous. If I had the guts I'd drill and tap into the block then plug it, but that could go so wrong. Idk what to do, really. Good luck

The following users liked this post:
FabricGATOR (07-08-2023)
Old 07-08-2023, 12:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,392 Likes on 3,132 Posts

Originally Posted by sethagreen
I don't know if this is how you reply, I'm new. I made an account just to warn you that this method can go very, very wrong. I hooked on this way putting a brand new crate engine in. While it was in the air, one of the threaded holes for the ground bolts broke through the top of the head, it caused a drop that broke the other side dumping my engine about 8 inches into the bay. I risked it and installed it anyway and haven't had a problem. I don't remember where now, but I attached the grounds somewhere else. I'm very lucky it didn't cause a crack in the heads or break into the surface for the covers. I believe that was the most epic fit I've ever thrown! I have seen guys successfully use this method though. I ended up strapping around the exhaust manifold and now have a passenger exhaust leak. I don't understand why they don't have lift points like every other engine. I'm going to fabricate a factory plate, but still feel nervous considering how small the intake bolts are. Absolutely ridiculous. If I had the guts I'd drill and tap into the block then plug it, but that could go so wrong. Idk what to do, really. Good luck
So, you joined to respond to an 11 year old post??????

Quick Reply: Removing the Hemi Engine without the Lifting Fixture