3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Inconsistent RPM/Stalling issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 07:26 PM
MadSkillZ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inconsistent RPM/Stalling issue

I have the '03 4.7L V8 Ram and I've been having some odd issues with it. It will start fine but during my commute I notice the RPM's will fluctuate, for instance at a red light it will ocassionally drop between 250-1k RPM and the odd time it will stall right there. Also, it has also stalled while driving, the other issue is getting it to start afterwards. I can hear the starter working and most times it starts the first try after stalling, other times it will take 10-20 minutes of letting it sit before getting it to start again. I took it to a local mechanic to get diagnostics. He didn't give me specific code numbers but was able to tell me it could be the purge solenoid and that there was a 'small-gross leak.' I went ahead and changed the purge solenoid but still having the same issue. Any ideas here of what my problem is?

Old 09-14-2012, 10:22 PM
tjgardecki

EGR valve most likely. Easy fix and not too expensive. Its located on the top back of the motor right behind the air intake. 2 bolts and a plug. Make sure the gasket is sealed.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:28 PM
tjgardecki

It could also be the fuel pump gettin weak. If it dont wanna start try hitting against the fuel tank about 2/3s back. Alot of times that will get it going again.

Quick Reply: Inconsistent RPM/Stalling issue