3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New TO ME Dodge Ram

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 11:54 PM
nobby
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I made an appointment with the local dealer this week.

Armed with my warranty, I decided to do a complete driveline fluid change.

Front and rear diffs, trani, transfer case. Synthetic oil.

It is something I would normally do myself, but I have no history on the truck and it still has warranty...so I opted for the dealer. My idea was to have an experienced Dodge guy poking around rather than me...who really doesn't know good from bad other than perhaps metal shavings in a pan.

I'm glad I went with this idea as the rear diff pinion gear is showing premature wear....would I have noticed? Probably not.

So...they are replacing it under warranty.

I also had the front left bearing replaced under warranty.

I had a bogging issue that happened when shifting from 1st to 2nd.

Turns out there was a software update required for the MDS....this also was done under warranty...which to me is weird. If it's an update...should that not have been a recall?

In any case...it was all free...except for the driveline fluid change which dinged me for $780.00. Man they mark up fluids probably 500%.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:31 AM
ewing111
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nobby
In any case...it was all free...except for the driveline fluid change which dinged me for $780.00. Man they mark up fluids probably 500%.
ackkk! that is a lot of dough for a fluid change. Not all that surprising I guess though, those fluids are expensive (excess of $300 if you did a full tranny and diff with synthetic fluids) and they charge a pretty penny to do the tranny flush. Sure would've been nice to save some of that yourself, but i see why you did it. Nice to get that other stuff taken care of under warranty.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:06 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

So I made an appointment with the local dealer this week.

Armed with my warranty, I decided to do a complete driveline fluid change.

Front and rear diffs, trani, transfer case. Synthetic oil.

It is something I would normally do myself, but I have no history on the truck and it still has warranty...so I opted for the dealer. My idea was to have an experienced Dodge guy poking around rather than me...who really doesn't know good from bad other than perhaps metal shavings in a pan.

I'm glad I went with this idea as the rear diff pinion gear is showing premature wear....would I have noticed? Probably not.

So...they are replacing it under warranty.

I also had the front left bearing replaced under warranty.

I had a bogging issue that happened when shifting from 1st to 2nd.

Turns out there was a software update required for the MDS....this also was done under warranty...which to me is weird. If it's an update...should that not have been a recall?

Software updates are usually covered under warranty, service contract, or not covered. Some may be a recall depending on the scope and safety issue of the problem but most are released as TSB's not recalls.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:21 AM
nobby
Professional

Originally Posted by ewing111
ackkk! that is a lot of dough for a fluid change. Not all that surprising I guess though, those fluids are expensive (excess of $300 if you did a full tranny and diff with synthetic fluids) and they charge a pretty penny to do the tranny flush. Sure would've been nice to save some of that yourself, but i see why you did it. Nice to get that other stuff taken care of under warranty.
Thanks...that's make me feel better about my decision.

Starting from square one ....now it's MY truck.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:01 AM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Thanks...that's make me feel better about my decision.

Starting from square one ....now it's MY truck.
Atleast everything is caught up from what you know, Now its almost like having a new truck.... and you can sleep better at night now

Old 10-05-2012, 07:54 PM
nobby
Professional

Originally Posted by willdikem66
Atleast everything is caught up from what you know, Now its almost like having a new truck.... and you can sleep better at night now
Zackly.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:05 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

I just hope she last for you and runs till you don need her anymore

Old 10-06-2012, 12:48 PM
nobby
Professional

Originally Posted by willdikem66
I just hope she last for you and runs till you don need her anymore
Me too.

I am so stupidly broke right now I can't afford any mini-disasters.

I was talking to a street kid in downtown Montreal after a show I had gone to see. If I decide I'm going to hand over any money I strike a deal with them. I promise to give all the change that I have in my pocket if they promise not to complain if it's not much. Well We have $1 and $2 coins in Canada and after buying beer all night my pocket felt heavy.
So I handed it over....about $9.00. He was happy. So we got to talking and he assumed that I was doing ok for myself. I told him.....you have more than I do. He laughed...Ya right, he says.

I said that "You might not have much but I OWE money ....get it?"

Old 10-06-2012, 10:07 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Me too.

I am so stupidly broke right now I can't afford any mini-disasters.

I was talking to a street kid in downtown Montreal after a show I had gone to see. If I decide I'm going to hand over any money I strike a deal with them. I promise to give all the change that I have in my pocket if they promise not to complain if it's not much. Well We have $1 and $2 coins in Canada and after buying beer all night my pocket felt heavy.
So I handed it over....about $9.00. He was happy. So we got to talking and he assumed that I was doing ok for myself. I told him.....you have more than I do. He laughed...Ya right, he says.

I said that "You might not have much but I OWE money ....get it?"
Exactly lol!

Old 10-14-2012, 10:15 PM
nobby
Professional

I picked up a one piece fiberglass tonneau cover for the box.

Good shape for $250...pretty good price for around here.

The only issue is that it is silver and my truck is black. But my trailer is silver so the combo doesn't look too bad.

A couple of adjustments, new snubbers ($36) and I'm good to go.

Quick Reply: New TO ME Dodge Ram