3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Intermittent wiper DIY fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 07:50 AM
ewing111
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

that sucks. Have you checked your contacts on the wiper timer mechanism to see if they are crudded up? That could still be part of your problem if you havent checked it. If they look fine, maybe its electrical, short blowing the motor or something, dont know what else it could really be.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:43 PM
patooyee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being that the wiper motor fixed the issues for about a month I decided to give another wipe motor a try, knowing that when they reman these things they probably don't pay much attention to detail.

As of right now everything is working fine again. *Just out of curiosity though, I decided to open up the park switch on the motors to see what is going on:

This is my month-old Cardone reman wiper motor from Advance Auto. *There was corrosion built up pretty badly on some of the circuit paths. *I don't know if that could cause resistance that the computer has issues interpreting. *But there was also corrosion built up on one of the park switch needles. *This corrosion did not happen in the month I owned this motor. *It probably happened while it was on the previous truck before reman occurred and just wasn't caught and repaired during the reman process. *Here's the inside of the replacement unit that I put in:

Obviously this park switch has been replaced with a new one. *What little wear on the circuits exists probably happened during testing at Cardone.

So I'm hoping that the new park switch solves my problem for the long-term and I just got a quality-control-challenged motor the first time. *Only time will tell. *I'm getting good at replacing these motors now though. *Out and in in about 20 mins flat now. *

Attached Thumbnails Intermittent wiper DIY fix-old1.jpg   Intermittent wiper DIY fix-old2.jpg   Intermittent wiper DIY fix-old3.jpg   Intermittent wiper DIY fix-old4.jpg   Intermittent wiper DIY fix-new1.jpg  

Intermittent wiper DIY fix-new2.jpg  
Old 05-03-2013, 10:18 PM
ewing111
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

that second one looks waaaaaay better. I bet you will be good to go now.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:14 AM
patooyee

Another thing ... I noticed after every time I disconnected the motor during testing that the wipers would not work on intermittent until after I ran them once on one of the other two speeds. Once the wiper motor made one complete rotation on one of the other speeds intermittent would work again. I could reliably disconnect the motor and repeat this process every time.

My theory on that is that it is the computer tracking the park switch and somehow recording it. It would detect the first rotation, record it, and once disconnected, have to rerun the cycle to get it back. Incidentally, this is similar to one of the symptoms I was having in that intermittent would not work until I set one of the higher speeds. Sometimes then it would work screwy on intermittent, sometimes not at all. But if this corrosion was causing some issues in the park switch causing the computer to think it had lost its park position that might make some sense. Basically, the computer was thinking I was disconnecting the motor constantly and running through its initiation cycle almost every time I used them.

Anyway, it was raining all day today and my wipers worked perfectly every swipe all day long.

Oh, and Advance Auto is out of these motors nationwide now for some reason. They could not get a motor to warranty mine out. I had to buy another one at O'Reilly and return the defective for full refund + core refund at Advance. O'Reilly had them on the shelf at all 5 stores in my area though.

Last edited by patooyee; 05-04-2013 at 12:19 AM.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:23 PM
PanamaRed

ewing111

Thanks for the quick free fix!

Old 07-26-2014, 11:00 PM
slovo

Originally Posted by patooyee

During your install makes sure one of the wiper arm pivot levers doesn't get rotated up. If it does installing the cowl again is more difficult but possible. Then the first time you turn the wipers on it rotates up into the plastic cowl, possibly damaging it. Both pivot levers should point down.
Thanks for the warning. I need to fix mine also.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:26 PM
shawnschallenger
Default Dodge Dakota wiper issue

ey guys, I know there are several threads around about this, but I hadn't seen any with pictures, so I thought I would share my methodology for trying to self-fix the issue with the intermittent wipers not working. This is fairly simple job, all you need are a few basic hand tools and some white electrical contact grease and a little patience.

We are going to take apart the contacts that keep track of the timing of the wipers as well as the wiper motor, to get to that we need to take the wiper shroud off.

First take off the wipers, just press with your finger or a screwdriver the little tab and the wipers lift right off

Be sure to not lose the little key that keeps the wipers in the right spot, it's not held in by anything but the pressure of the wiper, one of mine fell out and I had to hunt around for it, luckily didn't lose it.

Next we need to get the shroud off, there are six tabs across the front, pry under the shroud with a screwdriver so you don't bust any of them

Disconnect the wiper fluid line over by the passenger side of the engine bay

Now the shroud should basically come out, you will need to push it up and back towards the back of the truck to release two little catches before you can pull it forward off the truck.

Once you have that off, you will see the wiper assembly and motor
Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 9703
Size:  121.8 KB

Undo the three bolts holding the wiper assembly on, they are 10mm.
Name:  photo5.jpg
Views: 9607
Size:  126.8 KB

Now you need to open up the motor housing, there are 2 torque star bolts (size 27) that hold the housing in. If you are worried about putting it back backwards, make a little mark so you know you put it back right. There is a tab that helps keep it aligned too.

Once the motor is open you can clean it out of any debris or junk. Mine wasn't too bad but I wiped it out.

Now you need to take the timing mechanism apart. There are 6 tabs that come undone and the top comes right off, you can see it in the backround to the right in the motor picture.

The black piece that comes off looks like this

You can see the circles where the timing is kept. Wipe out the grease and carefully sand the brass till its nice and shiny with high grit sandpaper (at least 300).

The other piece looks like this and has 2 contacts on it. Sand down the contacts gently till they are shiny as well.

Spray white grease in the components to replace what you wiped out, dont get too much in there though.

Reassemble everything and test for proper operation. If there is a lot of excess grease you might take a few cycles for it to get back to good contact. Enjoy proper operating wipers!!![/QUOTE]
Thank you very much for the info. You saved me a lot of time and money. The mopar world is the best. This site is a sinch to navigate unlike the other sites i had to use for my plow truck. I won't criticize any other auto maker but instead i will talk up this site. Again thank you so very much. Shawn

Attached Thumbnails Intermittent wiper DIY fix-photo1-4.jpg   Intermittent wiper DIY fix-photo2-5.jpg   Intermittent wiper DIY fix-photo3-4.jpg   Intermittent wiper DIY fix-photo6.jpg   Intermittent wiper DIY fix-photo7.jpg  

Intermittent wiper DIY fix-photo9.jpg  
Old 10-02-2014, 12:47 PM
SmokinJoe02
Veteran

Very informative 1st post! Thank you.

Welcome to the site.

SJ03

Old 02-21-2015, 08:58 PM
overstreetrules62
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default thank u 3rd gen

I've had this problem for years in my 05 ram daytona, I thought that it might have been from it getting rained in. I'm in Nashville and most of the time it does rain enough for the low speed so I was turning them off and on. Major pain plus it can't be good for the blades wiping dry glass constantly so thank u again. I'll do this tomorrow.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:38 PM
dodgerodbrky

Same problem. 2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab. Going to give this a try. Thank you for posting.

Quick Reply: Intermittent wiper DIY fix