3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Excessive AM radio static

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 10:53 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Excessive AM radio static

My dad's 02 is having a problem with the AM static, I have replaced the spark plugs and looked for anything else that might be suspect. He is starting to think it is the radio.
It changes with engine speed but once the engine hits around 3500rpm it almost totally goes away.
I did some googling and it says an RFI filter will fix it.
That true?

lol ->

Old 09-20-2012, 01:16 PM
Dead2Fall
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bad ground.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:31 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Im not going to lie i really thought you were kidding when you said you changed the spark plugs to try to get rid of the static. They dont tie into each other anywhere, id start with wiring, look for shorts, good ground,and bad spliced wires.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:55 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by Dead2Fall
Bad ground.
Where at?
Originally Posted by willdikem66
Im not going to lie i really thought you were kidding when you said you changed the spark plugs to try to get rid of the static. They dont tie into each other anywhere, id start with wiring, look for shorts, good ground,and bad spliced wires.
Well, they were do for a change anyway. And I know that a failing plug can cause hell'a interference.

Where are the grounds for all this stuff? I am not a stereo guy. lol

Old 09-20-2012, 02:01 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Its all in the wires get a diagram and chase the wire.

And a heck of a difference???? Maybe a difference in the way the motor runs not the way the stero plays LOL!

Old 09-20-2012, 02:03 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Its all in the wires get a diagram and chase the wire.

And a heck of a difference???? Maybe a difference in the way the motor runs not the way the stero plays LOL!
I'll look in the FSM.

And fyi, I said INTERFERENCE. Not difference....

Old 09-20-2012, 02:08 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Like i said the SPARK PLUGS dont matter how your RADIO plays!
Its a Spark Plug, it has nothing to do with your radio, it takes the electricity form the plug wire and converts it to a spark, which in turn ignites the air/fuel mixture inside of the cylinder. No where in that sentence did it say that it changes they way your radio plays or picks up stations. And there is no way it could interfer with the radio end of story

Old 09-20-2012, 02:22 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually it is possible for the spark plugs to cause radio interference, but it is indirectly it also isn't usually apparent in any car made after the 1960's.....

http://www.sparkplugs.com/sparkplug4...ference&mfid=0

So it is indirectly possible.... but the most probable causes of radio interference are in the car's alternator and grounds.

Current in a 12V (DC) Automotive system is constantly fluctuating between (normally) 12v-14v (DC) and most automotive electronics are designed to operate between 11v-16v (DC).

So what you can do to rule out an electrical problem is basically hook up a monitor or logger to the car's electrical system (a more expensive OBDII Scanner can do this) and log the Battery/Alternator Output vs the Engine Speed (RPM). That can tell you what is going on there, but won't give you much to go off of.

If you were that serious about it and had a ton of $ to spend, you'd have to get yourself and oscilloscope or something like it to log the actual power waveform.

Enough of that technical garbage... if you don't have a bad ground, and you're antenna is the OEM antenna and radio, then you either have a bad alternator (or one that is wearing out), a bad radio, or a bad antenna.

if you have an aftermarket radio then your AM reception is going to be absolute GARBAGE! and there is nothing you can do about it...

Here are your steps to check this out:

1) Check all Grounds
2) Check Voltage vs RPM (should be between 12.6V - 14.4V at idle)
3) Replace Radio w/ Known Working OEM Radio
4) Replace OEM Antenna with New OEM Replacement

If none of that fixes your problem then you are likely getting outside interference, which basically comes from everything from a TV remote to a Cell Phone...Even Neon signs cause interference....

read this: http://www.signindustry.com/neon/art...uency-RC-.php3

I'm speaking from my days as a mobile electronics installer (MECP Certified) so take it for what it's worth.

Good Luck, and happy 1010WIN listening! :-P

Old 09-20-2012, 02:23 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Like i said the SPARK PLUGS dont matter how your RADIO plays!
Its a Spark Plug, it has nothing to do with your radio, it takes the electricity form the plug wire and converts it to a spark, which in turn ignites the air/fuel mixture inside of the cylinder. No where in that sentence did it say that it changes they way your radio plays or picks up stations. And there is no way it could interfer with the radio end of story
Then please tell me why they have to have resistors inside them to dampen RADIO interference? Please explain to the ignorant, as the FSM's say that is that they are for...

*EDIT*
at least the guy that posted just before me has actual facts rather than un-based opinions...

Old 09-20-2012, 02:25 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Then please tell me why they have to have resistors inside them to dampen RADIO interference? Please explain to the ignorant, as the FSM's say that is that they are for...

*EDIT*
at least the guy that posted just before me has actual facts rather than un-based opinions...
Hey chill out, no one can know everything... so lets just stay on topic before we start D***measuring... k?

Quick Reply: Excessive AM radio static