3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help! 2005 2500 hemi p/u start problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 10:13 AM
bags
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! 2005 2500 hemi p/u start problem

hi - need help have dodge 2500 2005 hemi - out of the blue it wont crank all lights on dash look normal just no crank then after trying for about an hour or so it starts like nothing was wrong, may be related to temp? I just dont know? replaced battery with recommended amps still happening, and am concerned I going to go to mechanic and start with new starter... and the problem will again emerge.. anybody have similar issue seems to be happening more frequently lately but not predictable... Thanx!

Last edited by bags; 10-01-2012 at 10:15 AM. Reason: wording confusion
Old 10-01-2012, 11:08 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when the starter does engage, does it sound funny?

instead of tossing $$ parts at it, start following leads.. I'm willing to wager you have corroded leads after the hot lead split..

disconnect battery... clean posts and leads.. hit them with Vaseline.. follow from the starter back to the post- remove the leads, clean them with a wire brush, clean the posts, put Vaseline (guaranteed it won't corrode with good ol' petroleum jelly on them) on both the leads and the posts- button it up and see what happens.. investment: $2 and some time..

Old 10-01-2012, 12:07 PM
bags
Default No doesnt turn over at all doesnt make a sound

to answer your response it sounds fine and turns over like nothings wrong when it finally does after the trucks sits for varying amount of time, (one reason I think it is temp related seems to work fine when its cold). cleaned the battery posts etc when I replaced the battery I will look at the starter connection though if I can find it... yeah one big problem is I am a biologist...

Old 10-02-2012, 04:59 PM
bags
Default resolved

took it to country mechanic - problem repeated and immediately he said relay switches replaced them in few minutes and boom cured! cant get it to repeat... Hope this is it but am hopeful, he looked at all starter wires and starter and said all looked clean wire was good and starter tested fine

Old 10-02-2012, 05:25 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Hopefully that works cheap fix!

Quick Reply: Help! 2005 2500 hemi p/u start problem