3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Improved Sound From a Cold Air Intake & What's the Deal with the Mopar One?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 12:48 AM
xJO98
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Improved Sound From a Cold Air Intake & What's the Deal with the Mopar One?

I haven't given a CAI any consideration for my '05 Hemi knowing how disappointing the one on my 4.0L Jeep was a few years back. Barring wether there is any power increase or MPG increase, I read where alot of people said the CAI made the Hemi sound better. How? I don't refute that it does and if it makes my Hemi growl and sound alot meaner than it already does, I'd buy a CAI just for that alone. I'm running the stock exhaust and probably will for quite awhile so if I can get more growl up front, cool. How does it sound?

Also, I've read a couple spots where the Mopar CAI is no joke in the power department. When I was at my dealer the other day, I saw it and the little sign they wrote up with the price claims 8-10 HP increase. I'm assuming this increase is ain n unreasonable 5000RPM or so range but am I wrong?

Old 09-01-2005, 03:08 AM
2002ramon24s
Professional
Default RE: Improved Sound From a Cold Air Intake & What's the Deal with the Mopar One?

i got a 6 cyl and stock exaust and i could hear a dif. in my exhaust and u can hear it sucking a lot of air. i like the way they sound but i aint sure its something u would like to listen to. mines kind of anoying around 1400-2,000 rpm

Old 09-01-2005, 09:59 PM
Jerdog706
Default RE: Improved Sound From a Cold Air Intake & What's the Deal with the Mopar One?

Are you old enough to remember what an "interceptor" was in the old days? Usually a big block Mopar that was set up to catch the fastest of speeders on the interstate? The thing that was most awesome about them was how they had this distinctive air-swallowing sound. The Mopar CAI is as close to that sound as anything I have found to date, aside from those 440 magnums and 426's of yesteryear. I havent dyno'ed my Daytona, but the hesitation or lag from the stock breather box is completely eradicated after installing the CAI. As for your idea about keeping the stock exhaust, that would be comparable to drinking beer out of a beer bong and urinating through a coctail straw. Spend the $500.00 dollars or so, get the Mopar CAI, tear off the resonator and muffler and replace it with a Magnaflow single in, single out and be done with it. The smile on your face will long outlast the moths accumulating in your wallet.

Old 09-02-2005, 12:03 PM
thundersteel
Amateur

Does anyone have a pic or the part number/price for the Mopar CAI?

Old 09-02-2005, 04:15 PM
Jerdog706

http://store.yahoo.com/wyckoff-chrys...coairinsy.html

Copy and paste that into your browser, I cant get the hypertext to work.

Old 09-02-2005, 05:21 PM
04 Hemi
Amateur

Does anyone know the difference between the Mopar and other CAI systems?

Old 09-04-2005, 04:41 AM
2avoid

try the airaid mit and a k@n . you can buy the 2 for $150 works good for me

Old 09-04-2005, 01:07 PM
mikeysim

Installed a K&N CAI about two weeks ago and the difference in sound is unbelievable, what a throaty sound. You can just hear the engine suckin more air in. You can really feel the throtle response as well throughout the entire rpm range. Haven't seen a increase in mpg due to constant trailer towing in the city for work. Pick one up on ebay for $230!!

Old 09-04-2005, 05:38 PM
xJO98
Rookie

I picked up the Mopar CIA yesterday and went to go install it today and got cold feet. I didn't realize how much disassembly was involved and I'm a little leary about doing this thing on my three month old truck with 2500 miles on it. I got as far as removing the top half of the air box and stopped. It's not like I'm not mechanically inclined to do it but something didn't feel right when I had to take the intake resonator off and leave it off. The truck is too new to me for this, guess I'm a moron.

Old 09-05-2005, 02:42 PM
Jerdog706

On another thread I mentioned that having some wobble headed box ends and a couple stubby wrenches made the change alot easier. The local dealer quoted 2 hours of labor and at $78.00 per hour, rather than toss $160.00, a friend and I did the job ourselves. Removing the lower portion of the factory airbox was the toughest part and we gave some serious thought to removing the fender liner to give us some room to remove the bolts under the frame rails. Did you happen to see the suggestion about the radiator fan shroud bolt as well? The factory bolt comes up about two threads short when you go to attach the metal heat shield, and because of a recess in the radiator tank, you can replace the factory bolt with one a 1/4" to 3/8ths longer which made things much easier. Heres a pic of the finished project.

[IMG]local://upfiles/20298/BE7FB61091574E9BA53CE7E53248AF7D.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Improved Sound From a Cold Air Intake & What's the Deal with the Mopar One?