3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Coolant heater hose question

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 08:29 PM
mmike1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant heater hose question

So my upper radiator hose blew, so i am going to change that the lower and heater hoses, plus flush out the system and add some new fluid in.

2003 4.7 1500

I have found the heater hoses online, and they look different than the stock in the pictures, anyone have any experience with these, one is from autozone and the other advanced auto. Could not find the hose from the overflow tank to the heater, anyone know where to find this?

Never done a flush before so my question is, when i flush out the system, do i just drain the radiator and pull the lower hose let everything drain out, then reconnect fill with distilled water and then let heat up to temp then drain again and add the 50/50 mix of the HOAT? or do i need to have one of the heater hoses disconnected , add a
t to it and extra hose, so that the T is not permanent and flush with the water hose from the house?

Also i assume i need to put sealant on the ends of these hoses when i clamp them back on, what do you guys recommend

Old 10-04-2012, 09:26 PM
kenneymc
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as a flush goes, what I did was basically what you stated. Drain radiator, remove lower rad hose if you want to get a little more out. Then put back together, fill with distiller water. Run to about 5 to 10 mins after it reaches normal temp with heater on full blast. Shut off, let cool then repeat. I ended up doing this about 4 or 5 times until I felt comfortable that I had gotten most of the old coolant out. Then after the last drain, do not add 50/50 mixed coolant as you will have just basically water in the block. Know what your coolant capacity is, then subtract out how much you get each time you drain.

Example, if your system holds 4 gallons and you get 2 gallons out each time you drain the rad, then you have 2 gallons of water left in the block. Just add 2 gallons of non diluted antifreeze, this will give you the 50/50 mix.

Most people on here do not run tap water through their blocks and rads, I do not either. Also most suggest use of HOAT antifreeze from dealer or the Zerex G05 from a parts store. I used the Zerex brand little cheaper and about the same.

Quick Reply: Coolant heater hose question