3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

need brake help

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 03:58 PM
hmipwrd
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need brake help

i just got done replacing the front brakes on my truck, went for a short drive up my road to see if they were working right and noticed a bad vibration (both in the brake pedal and steering wheel) ive never had this happen on new brakes. am i missing something? ive done all the brakes on my last vehicles (althought the brakes were alot smaller), not sure why its doing this. ant thoughts?

Old 09-01-2005, 04:59 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker
Default RE: need brake help

Kinda stupid question, but did you torque down the wheel nuts? I've seen people forget to tighten them down. Only other thing I can think of is that the rotor was not machined to spec. New rotors or resurfaced? What kind of pads? Did you bleed the system properly (should not cause vibration in the wheel but can make the brake spongy)? We need more info.

Old 09-01-2005, 05:03 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

I'd take off each wheel and double check your work. Make sure everything is clamped down properly and like the above thread stated.....make sure that you bled the lines and torque'd the lugnuts properly.

that said, if its still doing it after that.....maybe you bought a bad rotor...

Old 09-01-2005, 11:13 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have access to a magnetic base and a dial indicator, check the run out near the outside diameter of the rotor, but keep it in the area where the pads run. If there is much more than a couple of thousanths, your rotors were either turned out of true, which cannot be turned out. Or you got a set of new ones that need to be replaced under warranty. If you bought generic pads, there is generally not a "break in" for them. If you purchased ceramics, generally there is a break in or bedding that needs to be done when they are first installed. If that is the case, the instructions would detail that, that came with the pads.

Old 09-02-2005, 02:53 AM
hmipwrd
Rookie

after taking it apart and putting it back together making sure i didnt miss anything it seems to work fine now. i had a friend help me with bleeding the brakes to make sure it was done right. maybe i just overlooked something. thanks for the input.

has anyone noticed any difference with ceramic pads. thats what i installed, just wondering if they are as good as i keep hearing.

Quick Reply: need brake help