3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Polished Vs. Chrome Wheels for Offroading?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 04:42 PM
PMopar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polished Vs. Chrome Wheels for Offroading?

Planning on getting rid of my 20-inch wheels on the 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 soon and switching to a 17X9 wheel and offroad tire set up. The 20s came with the truck purchase at a package deal at a price I couldn't pass up, so I've been stuck with them.

This truck has been offroad a couple times already and will be a few times a year going forward.

Are there any pros and cons with choosing chrome wheels over polished? I know that polished wheels have to be maintained more frequently, but is one more likely to show scratches from offroad wear and tear over the other?

Old 09-01-2005, 05:00 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Default RE: Polished Vs. Chrome Wheels for Offroading?

If you are serious about offroading, I would stay away from chrome rims. I would actually even look into black rims. Chrome and polished rims will show all kinds of scratches/damage very visibly, if its a decent size scratch/scrape.

I had black factory rims on my Dakota and the only way I ever knew they were dirty was wipin my hands down them.

Old 09-01-2005, 05:02 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

I'd go for a set of 17" with bigger tires and not worry about it. As far as which is better, I dunno. Chrome can chip and peel, but is easier to maintain. Polished takes longer to make super shiny but light scratches can be buffed out. Depends on what you want.

If you go only every so often, I'd probably not worry about it and go with whatever looks the best. If you are more serious about it, get some cheap steel wheels. IF you are that serious of an off roader, plan of having some scrapes and stuff in the paint as well.

Old 09-01-2005, 06:11 PM
05_black_beast
Professional

I dunno about the rest of you w/ 20" chrome wheels...But Mine are basically 20" chrome hubcaps.

Yep, just a chrome plastic cover. [&:]

Old 09-01-2005, 06:51 PM
jeffjs
Professional

The 20"s come in either steel with chromed hubcap, or polished aluminum.

Old 09-01-2005, 07:51 PM
PMopar

Thanks for the feedback. Good points all. The truck already has some nice dings in it, so inevitably it will get some more wear/tear on the wheels, as well.

While I like the chrome look, unless I can get a great deal I'm not too keen on spending the extra $$$ on chrome vs. polished wheels if they're going to get all scratched up anyway.

My 20 inch factory wheels are also the chromed plastic hubcaps glued on steel wheels. All the more reason to switch to the 17s as the 20s will be shredded if I keep them on.

Old 09-02-2005, 12:59 AM
BeasTA

if you were interested, I have my factory alloy off road rims with almost new tires on em. I bought new rims and tires withing a month of having hte truck

Old 09-02-2005, 01:08 AM
HemiBuell
Captain

Rims never make it that long in good shape off road. Buy the cheapest ones you can find, used is great. That is what I do anyhow.

Quick Reply: Polished Vs. Chrome Wheels for Offroading?