3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trouble Idling After Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 01:44 AM
JimLewis
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble Idling After Dead Battery

I've owned 2 GEN2 Dodge Rams and 1 GEN3 Dodge Ram (pictured below). And they've all had the same problem. Whenever I run my battery all the way down by accidentally leaving something on or plugged in then after I jump start it and get it running, I have to power-break every where I go for the next half hour. That is, I have to ride the throddle whenever breaking, otherwise the engine dies. It will not idle automatically.

Somehow, after about 30-45 minutes of doing this, the electrical system starts working properly again and the truck re-learns how to keep an idle. Then I'm fine, as long as I don't run down the battery again.

But this is pretty stupid. I own 14 other non-Dodge Trucks and SUVs and none of my other vehicles have this problem. Why does this happen and is there a solution to this? Someone suggested a backup battery that just keeps the electrical system 'memory' in tact if the main battery dies. I have no idea what that involves but this has happened enough times that it's starting to get annoying. I'd love to figure out a way around that.

I should be able to jump start the vehicle and then drive it around town without it dying on me ever 5 seconds, shouldn't I? There must be an easy solution for this.

Last edited by JimLewis; 10-10-2012 at 02:03 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:57 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Normal for the Dodge trucks. Until the alt gets the charge in the battery built back up to 12 volts they do not like to idle. Has nothing to do with the PCM...just the nature of the beast.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:08 AM
broggyr
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JimLewis
Why does this happen and is there a solution to this? ... There must be an easy solution for this.
The easy solution is to not let your battery run down.

The only other way is to install some sort of battery backup to maintain power to the computers so they don't forget their settings.

Originally Posted by bwdakrt
Normal for the Dodge trucks. Until the alt gets the charge in the battery built back up to 12 volts they do not like to idle. Has nothing to do with the PCM...just the nature of the beast.
For some reason, I didn't see this until just now. I suppose my reading comprehension needs a swift kick in the **** lol

Last edited by broggyr; 10-10-2012 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Xtra Info
Old 10-10-2012, 03:44 PM
07Chuck
Rookie
Default Overworked

Find a way around it? Why? Does this happen to you a lot? Just my opinion here but that battery will be junk in no time if it keeps getting deep cycled and it's always best to fully charge it if you can so you don't overwork your alternator

Old 10-10-2012, 03:48 PM
07Chuck
Rookie
Default Overworked

Just my opinion here but that battery will be junk in no time if it keeps getting deep cycled and it's always best to fully charge it if you can so you don't overwork your alternator I saw a on board charger/tender at Napa recently you just hook two eyelets to the battery then plug er in.

Quick Reply: Trouble Idling After Dead Battery