3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4.7 Choppy performance under load, smooth idle.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 10:56 PM
Ssgfunk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.7 Choppy performance under load, smooth idle.

2003 4.7 qcsb 2x4 146k on the chassis, 80k on the motor an tranny. 25k on the rear end.

So I recently had lower ball joints, upper control arms, front and rear shocks, front hubs, front pads, rear caliper pins replaced. New air filter and spark plugs.

Then about a day later it start to feel "choppy" like a moderate to strong vibration when driving with the accelerator being pushed any amount. Let off the gas and let the truck coast and the vibration goes away. At idle, no vibration. It did stall a couple times so I ran some fuel injector cleaner through it and the stalling stopped.

I did let my wife drive it between the repairs and the problematic period and as per usual it was driven to near an empty tank.

After some research on the site I did change the pcv valve and take the throttle body off and clean it and the iac valve. Feels like some power was restored but no less vibration. There might be a touch more.

So any ideas? I'm leaning towards a fuel pump or injector issue but was hopin for some insight or ways to diagnosis what might be the problem instead of throwing parts at it.

TIA

Old 10-15-2012, 10:13 AM
Ssgfunk

Monday bump

Old 10-15-2012, 10:31 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when you say Vibration do you mean the whole truck vibrates or just the steering wheel?

Need to describe a little more what's going on...

What you are describing sounds like the whole truck is vibrating when you get on the throttle, which from the sound of it might be a motor mount failure.

Check the motor mounts first, usually when a motor mount is that bad you can see it just by reving the engine in neutral from an idle up to say 3.5K RPM a few times.

If you see the whole Engine move more than a half inch in any direction, it's pretty safe to assume there might be a motor mount problem....

Old 10-16-2012, 08:10 AM
Ssgfunk

The whole truck vibrates. Sometimes to the point whwre if I have a drink in the cup holder it will dance around like popcorn being popped.

I'll check the motor mount movement an report back.

Thank you
Originally Posted by Izero
when you say Vibration do you mean the whole truck vibrates or just the steering wheel?

Need to describe a little more what's going on...

What you are describing sounds like the whole truck is vibrating when you get on the throttle, which from the sound of it might be a motor mount failure.

Check the motor mounts first, usually when a motor mount is that bad you can see it just by reving the engine in neutral from an idle up to say 3.5K RPM a few times.

If you see the whole Engine move more than a half inch in any direction, it's pretty safe to assume there might be a motor mount problem....

Old 10-16-2012, 09:33 AM
Izero
Champion

Does it happen at almost any speed? or just above/below certain speeds?

Old 10-16-2012, 12:06 PM
Ssgfunk

It's not too noticeable until I get above 30mph an definitely gets worse as speed goes up.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:21 PM
Izero
Champion

Check Wheel Bearings and Motor Mounts and let us know what you find....

Old 10-16-2012, 06:11 PM
Plainbroke
Veteran

balance the tires check for loose wheels..

Old 10-17-2012, 11:28 AM
Ssgfunk

Very little movement in the engine when revving in park, revved her pretty hard too. Did notice some movement when shifting Ito reverse and drive but I wouldn't say more than half an inch.

The front hubs(and bearings) were just replaced a couple weeks ago too. How should I check for a defect or incorrect install?

Also, wanted to note that the vibration seems to lessen when you are accelerating, it's still there but it's the worse when holding a steady speed. And if you let off the gas and completely coast it disappears.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:57 AM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Plainbroke makes a good point. It could be something as easy as both of those things. And since you just had your truck in the shop it could have very easily been looked over

Quick Reply: 4.7 Choppy performance under load, smooth idle.