3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ram 1500 4.7l 2005 Timing Chain

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 09:05 AM
elainenseth
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ram 1500 4.7l 2005 Timing Chain

How long does it take to do the timing chains on a 4.7l engine? Im debating wether I should bring it to the shop if its not too many hours or just do it myself and save money? I bought all new sprockets, oil pump, water pump, timing chains guides tensioners etc. Just waiting to get them in the mail.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:15 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its hard to say, we dont know what your experince is. And how you work. Etc. Etc.
Always plan for longer than you think or have been told, be organized and help yourself dont make it harder. I would plan on your truck being down for a day at the least.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:20 PM
elainenseth
Amateur

Ok I have the valve covers off, and timing chain cover off. Their is serious slop in the chain so I am extremely confident this is what was wrong.

I have turned the crank several times and was able to get both cam gears and cam chain marks lined up, however the crank and intermediate shaft chain marks do not line up however the crank is at 6 and intermediate at 12.

Is it ok now to take off the gears and put the new chains on and line up all the chain marks to the new pulleys at its current location?

Also I read that it is not necessary to use the miller specialty tools to hold the chains as you can just use zip ties.

Are their any other specialty tools i would need?

Old 10-21-2012, 01:28 PM
elainenseth
Amateur

All done, have to wait until tomorrow to fire it up to give the black rtv time to dry. Looked good and no more slop, I cant believe the old passenger chain didn't fall off.

New timing chain, gears, tensioners, guides. New Oil Pump and Water Pump.

Hopefully I can get alot more miles out of this engine. Already 280,000 and counting.

I cant believe the mechanic told the previous owner the engine was gone that it was lower end noise. Also said the transmission was gone and that works fine also.

Really lucked out.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:15 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good, glad you got it fixed!

Quick Reply: Ram 1500 4.7l 2005 Timing Chain