3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

phantom noise in front suspension..

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 12:52 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default phantom noise in front suspension..

Hello, Right from Day one, back in 2006, My 06 Ram 2500 had a querky noise in the front suspension. Now in 2012 I still have theat same rattle.

Dodge dealer could never find the cause, and its not temperture sensitive, happens randonly in warm or cold.

Happens when going over rough roads, sounds like a rattle that you would get when the lower control arms are going up and down with the wheel, as most know 2500 front axles don't have control arms.

At one time I thought rocks might be trapped in the coil shock set up, after a trip the car wash same noise happened.

The wierd issue here is its totaly random and happens when the front wheels are moving stright up or down, fast or slow, nosie is the same.

IF wheels are articulating in a slow 4x4 crawl, no noise...

Ball joints upper and lower booth sides are new, entire front stearing is all brand new as is stearing stabilizer.

as tis is random, could thier be a bushing, or rubber mount the coil spring shock set up thats causing this?

Stearing control and shocks are fine, If I had a front sway bar, I would figure the niose to be a lose sway bar bushing...

Old 10-15-2012, 03:47 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Might just be a bad shock... could be a million things... couldn't tell you what it might or might not be without seeing it first hand....

Old 10-16-2012, 03:28 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cyclone429
Hello, Right from Day one, back in 2006, My 06 Ram 2500 had a querky noise in the front suspension. Now in 2012 I still have theat same rattle.

Dodge dealer could never find the cause, and its not temperture sensitive, happens randonly in warm or cold.

Happens when going over rough roads, sounds like a rattle that you would get when the lower control arms are going up and down with the wheel, as most know 2500 front axles don't have control arms.

At one time I thought rocks might be trapped in the coil shock set up, after a trip the car wash same noise happened.

The wierd issue here is its totaly random and happens when the front wheels are moving stright up or down, fast or slow, nosie is the same.

IF wheels are articulating in a slow 4x4 crawl, no noise...

Ball joints upper and lower booth sides are new, entire front stearing is all brand new as is stearing stabilizer.

as tis is random, could thier be a bushing, or rubber mount the coil spring shock set up thats causing this?

Stearing control and shocks are fine, If I had a front sway bar, I would figure the niose to be a lose sway bar bushing...

Cyclone,

Sorry to hear of your ongoing, intermittent concerns. When was the last time you were at your Dodge dealer? Have they been able to duplicate the noise?

If you'd like to PM me your VIN# and the name of your servicing dealer I'd be happy to look into this for you.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:13 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know longer in stall mopar parts on my truck, I refuse to deal with any dodge dealer, as for dodge its self, chysler canada did nothing for me when I lost the right drag link on my truck, ie it poped off.

My dodge dealer laughed at me and inital quote of 4500.00 to put my truck back on the road...
(drag link upper lower ball joints booth sides and new front drive u joints and a wheel bearing hub was seazing up pics under my user name)

My truck VIn was not in the latest recall...

Non servicable componants, ie ball joints, front u joints and drive line u joints failed several times under warenty, now thier all replaced with SERIVCEABLE units..

Thank you adressing my issue, but the after market, and my chevy mecanic, and my self have done more for my truck than Dodge could ever accomplish while under warenty..

Issues with my drivers seat fabric ripping on warenty and off warenty, I could right a lemon aid guide here, but the Hemi engine, brakes, clutch and 6sp man transmisson have been 100% flawless...

125,000 km on the clock now with a new front rebuilt front suspension at my expense.

Dodge should be puting servicable u joints and ball joints onHD trucks.

Last edited by cyclone429; 10-16-2012 at 07:24 PM. Reason: hi
Old 10-17-2012, 10:38 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well alright.... good luck then....

Quick Reply: phantom noise in front suspension..