3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

what is the next "step" up in injector size?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 11:46 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol possibly, but these are things the OP should know if he/she is really digging that car into their motor as stated...

Old 10-16-2012, 11:48 AM
tronic
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks a lot guys, your awesome i'm just going to leave them alone, probably don't need them as i have learned, and probably don't want them now lol thanks a lot, maybe the fuel pump though later

Old 10-16-2012, 11:52 AM
Izero
Champion

Just check your Injector Duty Cycles first.... are you able to log all of those parameters?

Have you had the truck custom tuned, or just using an off the shelf tune?

Old 10-16-2012, 12:04 PM
drewactual
Champion

I've got a fairly decent grasp on the workings, it's just that step being so steep between the gears that I found surprising.. that's pretty crazy..

fwiw- I tuned my engine, at great effort and through a huge learning curve, to effectively use 24# injectors when OE calls for 21#.. now, given, the OE 21# deliver a bit over 24# due to rail pressure, but the 24# are capable of delivering almost 27# using the same scale..

the duty cycle on the ones I am using is silly small.. this is good for my purposes, though- as I send true cold/isolated air to that thing.. I need the wider parameter at times.. I basically deliver the same volume of fuel through much shorter duration of squirt- and I altered the fuel sync to spray at the most advantageous time.. (in my case, retarded 4*)

it's a long story, but suffice it to say this, then I'll slowly back away from the topic:

most injectors are rated at 43.5psi.. my rail is 49psi... i deliver more than rated.. you would think that two injectors both rated the same would have the same rate of increasing flow as pressure increases, but they don't.. I learned this the hard way.. one may deliver WAY more than the other under circumstances outside of their design.. because of this, as well as other just as tricky factors, injectors are a messy subject that should be left alone unless you're prepared to engage it.. to engage it, you've gotta be able to sniff the a/f and log it.. and be capable of tuning/scripting the fuel tables..

it's tricky business..

Old 10-16-2012, 12:24 PM
Izero
Champion

Agreed, but there are programs out there that are much more user friendly than having to code the fuel tables by hand... there are piggy back options as well.. all just depends on how much $ and time you want to spend...

Old 10-16-2012, 01:42 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Custom tune and other upgrades would be great on a Bored over motor tho, you have a Great starting point

Old 10-16-2012, 01:53 PM
Izero
Champion

definitely... just takes a lot of money and time :-P

Old 10-16-2012, 01:58 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by tronic
i have a 2005 ram 5.7 bored out, cai, true dual, diablosport programmer
How much is it bored over?

Old 10-16-2012, 04:53 PM
sabin420
Captain

I don't see a need for new injectors unless you go to a boost application. Otherwise, the fuel pump and adjustable pressure regulator will be all you need. Even on a bored out motor. Dodge does a really good job of supplying a top notch stock injector that can handle all of your non-boosted performance needs.

Quick Reply: what is the next "step" up in injector size?