3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

turning keys and leveling kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 11:42 AM
johnmesich
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turning keys and leveling kit

lastnight i hit my torsion keys up a few more turns without lifting up the front end
what can i damage by doing it this way?

and i want to keep my truck level but get some blocks for the rear
so if i get bigger keys what size block should i get?

Old 10-19-2012, 08:22 PM
johnmesich

okay i found out doing it on the ground wont hurt it,

but as far as a level kit goes
i got the keys up pretty far
so adding in aftermarket ones how much will they add on top of keys already cranked?
i was thinking of getting 1.5 or 2 inch blocks with them
but want to see who else has experience with this, and how rough the ride is in the front if i need to get anything else?
i cant find a 3" lift spindle or anything like that
this is the only kit that has both which also makes me wonder why the name brands dont make one of these kits with blocks and keys

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCC-3-suspension-lift-kit-with-shocks-fits-all-2002-2005-Dodge-Ram-1500-4x4-/251168712236?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &fits=Make%3ADodge|Model%3ARam+1500&hash=item3a7ad 2662c&vxp=mtr

Old 10-20-2012, 01:27 AM
Nate_sorenson
Veteran

im no expert but turning your keys up far, even worse turning leveled keys up far are gonna screw your cv axle over like no tommorrow :/ these ifs trucks have a crap ton of don'ts when it comes to lifting

Old 10-20-2012, 02:27 AM
johnmesich

these cv's are not flexed bad at all

Old 10-20-2012, 11:18 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Aftermarket leveling keys will require you to remove your bolts to install, so you really won't have "cranked" keys and aftermarket keys. You'll really be right where you are now.

Beware going over 2" of "crank" or "level". As mentioned, this puts A LOT of stress on the CVs.

It's also a poor idea to "stack" suspension lifts (cranking keys technically is a poor man's suspension lift).

Either compliment the cranked keys with a body lift or return the keys to stock height and go with a TRUE suspension lift.

These ebay bargain kits I guess are ok, if you are a pavement queen and just going for the look and slightly larger tire fitment, but if you are gonna use the truck as a truck - then you get what you pay for IMO...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 10-20-2012 at 11:20 AM.

Quick Reply: turning keys and leveling kit