3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

wheel spacers

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 11:34 AM
jamesneon2003
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile wheel spacers

hi everyone

i have a 03 dodge ram 1500 2wd i put 3 inch level kit

and 315/70/17 tires on no rubbing at all drive great.

now do i need to add wheel spacer
and what are the purpose of wheel spacers..

is there a thread to put the spacers on..

Old 10-20-2012, 02:01 PM
Arctodus
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People put wheel spacers on to fix the rubbing problem. I would avoid wheel spacers at all cost, even if I had to buy different wheels. They wear out your ball joints. If you have no rub then don't worry about it.

P.S. some people use them for moving the wheel out because they think it looks better, again, just buy the right wheels with the correct backspacing and offset to avoid using spacers.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:31 PM
team_realtree
Professional

Originally Posted by Arctodus
People put wheel spacers on to fix the rubbing problem. I would avoid wheel spacers at all cost, even if I had to buy different wheels. They wear out your ball joints. If you have no rub then don't worry about it.

P.S. some people use them for moving the wheel out because they think it looks better, again, just buy the right wheels with the correct backspacing and offset to avoid using spacers.
I've never heard that before, how would they wear out your ball joints? I'm considering putting them on my truck.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:46 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesneon2003
hi everyone

i have a 03 dodge ram 1500 2wd i put 3 inch level kit

and 315/70/17 tires on no rubbing at all drive great.

now do i need to add wheel spacer
and what are the purpose of wheel spacers..

is there a thread to put the spacers on..
You have a 2wd that is why.
If no rubbing, no spacer is needed.
thicker wheel spacers provide new lugs for your wheels to thread onto.

Originally Posted by Arctodus
Also, people do change wheels to avoid wheel spacers, BUT wheels with a greater offset than stock will still exert the same amount of force on the wheel bearings and BJ's as spacer would. Stock wheels with a 1" spacer vs an aftermarket wheel with same offset yields same amount of presure on bearings and balljoints. No difference there.

Originally Posted by team_realtree
I've never heard that before, how would they wear out your ball joints? I'm considering putting them on my truck.
Most manufacturers place the Wheel center in the center of the hub. As you move the wheel outwards past the hub center point, additional force is exerted on the hub greater than when directly aligned. For every cm you move out, it gets multiplied.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:30 PM
sabin420
Captain

The wheel bearings will be affected a lot more than the ball joints seeing as they are the first part in line to be exerted the offset angle of force. Also using wheel spacers that are just plates, rather than the plate and stud are even worse as they cause an easy shearing point for the stud to break off.

Quick Reply: wheel spacers