3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

transmission experts needed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 09:40 PM
LS1WS6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission experts needed!!!

I did the 17 qt flush of my 545 RFE trans in my 2003 Ram 2500 today. I did it as instructed but was a little worried how long I had to leave it idling to get the Required amount of fluid out before I shut it off to refill. I would guess it was a few minutes to get 6 quarts out.

I replaced both filters and the O-ring for the flat filter. After I was done the trans was not acting right at all, it was a little low on fluid. It did throw a code about the pressure with. I filled it up to the full level and now it does work better but i will not engage till approximately 1200+ rpm and it wont downshift when in drive.

Looking back im wondering if i seated the flat filter all the way. Is there anyway I could have damaged the pump or bands during this procedure? I am using Castrol ATF +4 fluid.

I am thinking I will need to drop the pan tomorrow and check the filter again. Any info or help on this would be awesome.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:32 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have read that if the flat pancake filter isn't seated correctly due to poor fitment of the o ring and filter, the transmission will suck air and cause stalling problems and transmission failures.
Drop the pan.
Check that you have used a new o ring and that it fits flush and level with the valve body.
Push up into the seated o ring with the filter quite firmly and tighten the fixing bolt at the other end.
Be careful with that bolt, as it can be stripped very easily!
Are you a 4x4?
4x4 filters are different than 4x2. So make sure you have the slightly larger filter for the 4x4.
As for damaging bands and clutches etc, a lot of people change the fluid that way so if there was a problem there would be a lot of people complaining.
One thing I think you should have done is, top up the fluid with new as the transmission was emptying out the old.
All the posts I've read have said to do it that way.
Hope this helps?
Al.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:57 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Our trucks do not like anything but Mopar Brand ATF +4 fyi... I've heard that the Mopar fluid has a different viscosity and also has some friction additives that the trans is designed around.

Get back in there and make sure the filter and the o-ring for the flat washer is installed correctly, that has been the problem 9 times out of 10.

Good Luck...

Old 10-23-2012, 04:52 PM
RailroadMan
Rookie

Your post didn't specify if you used a Mopar brand filter or aftermarket. Recall there were issues with WIX brand filters being used on the 545RFE.

Best to get both filters from Mopar - I think they come in a kit.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:06 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RailroadMan
Your post didn't specify if you used a Mopar brand filter or aftermarket. Recall there were issues with WIX brand filters being used on the 545RFE.

Best to get both filters from Mopar - I think they come in a kit.
Yeah...they do come in a kit with fitting instructions for the new O ring.
Also, make sure you get the correct filter for your application. 4x4 or 2x4 as they are different.
Al.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:49 AM
loflyer2
Professional

I agree that flat pan filter is likely source of your problem. Push and wiggle the filter when installing while keeping it perfectly level with the transmission solenoid body. The tab on the filter that you screw into the tranny body should be flush before installing the screw. What often happens is that there is a slight gap between the tab and the tranny body, and installing the screw causes the flat filter to **** slightly. The flat filter plugs directly into the tranny pump and even being a little cocked will cause the pump to suck air. Also, be sure to re-check fluid levels because the filters will soak up almost a quart of ATF4.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:11 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Always, and I mean ALWAYS check the trans fluid with the truck running and fully warmed up on a level surface, that will always make sure you are at the right level... because your transmission will pump fluid all over the place in there and decrease what is left in the pan...

Good Luck with the fixes suggested... my bet is it's the filter that's the problem.

Quick Reply: transmission experts needed!!!