3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

future ram owner question

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 09:58 PM
Lor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default future ram owner question

Hi all,

I just joined the forum because I am looking at getting one soon.

I know some may asked this already, but I need feedback from all of you that actually have the truck.

I'm looking at the MCab. I first looked at the Hemi but as I look more and more into it, I am torned between the hemi and the 5.9l.

Here is my situation. I don't foresee towing heavy stuff. I am interested in the diesel for a tad better fuel mileage and the strong engine. I had no diesel experience at all. I can do most of my own work on gas cars/trucks, like maintenance and some major problem if I know what it is.

I found a 2007 3500 SRW MCab with the 5.9l that had 153K miles on it. They want 27K for this truck. It's the Laramie trim. The engine looks good. Only concern is there seemed to be some oil under the tranny and the torque converter. It's not dripping, but it's clearly there. The guy told me that the engine had some pressure relieve valve and that could be from that.

Do you think this is a good deal or not? My working budget is only about 25K. Will this get me a diesel?

Thanks all.

Lor

Old 10-24-2012, 08:15 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Lor
Hi all,

I just joined the forum because I am looking at getting one soon.

I know some may asked this already, but I need feedback from all of you that actually have the truck.

I'm looking at the MCab. I first looked at the Hemi but as I look more and more into it, I am torned between the hemi and the 5.9l.

Here is my situation. I don't foresee towing heavy stuff. I am interested in the diesel for a tad better fuel mileage and the strong engine. I had no diesel experience at all. I can do most of my own work on gas cars/trucks, like maintenance and some major problem if I know what it is.

I found a 2007 3500 SRW MCab with the 5.9l that had 153K miles on it. They want 27K for this truck. It's the Laramie trim. The engine looks good. Only concern is there seemed to be some oil under the tranny and the torque converter. It's not dripping, but it's clearly there. The guy told me that the engine had some pressure relieve valve and that could be from that.

Do you think this is a good deal or not? My working budget is only about 25K. Will this get me a diesel?

Thanks all.

Lor

Lor,

Welcome to the forum. While I cannot comment on price I can get you a build sheet and check for any warranty restrictions or recalls that were ever placed on the vehicle if you would like that info. Just PM me the Vin on aything you are looking at and state you want a build sheet and warranty info.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:36 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Price is a little high but it just depends on where you are from.
Personally i wouldnt buy a truck that showed signs of leaking anything... because i cant see the future and im not sure how much its going to cost to get fixed.

If you keep looking you can find a better deal gaurnteed
It kills me that dealers wont take a rag and carb cleaner and wipe the spots away. They would sell more car/trucks by far.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:02 PM
Lor

Thank you for the suggestion and offer. I will sure like to know the build sheet etc.

Would you suggest a hemi for my situation? I can't really decide between the hemi and 5.9l.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:11 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Lor
Thank you for the suggestion and offer. I will sure like to know the build sheet etc.

Would you suggest a hemi for my situation? I can't really decide between the hemi and 5.9l.

It would be wrong for me to suggest what you should get since I am still driving my 2000 1500 QC with the 5.9. I think you will get some feedback from the forum community who have the vehicles you are thinking about buying and they would have a much better idea on what would fit your needs. Hopefully they chime in soon. PM me any vins you need info on.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:27 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

For the Mega Cab no doubt i would have the Cummins

Old 10-24-2012, 06:00 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lor,

Just a suggestion, You could go to Weedahoes sig and download the FSM for that year truck, and look up what it could be, like a rear seal, and what would be involved in repair, or run it to a GOOD 5.9 familiar mechanic and have him check it out too. There is more maint on a diesel, but from the sound of it, that could be one really sweet ride!!!

Quick Reply: future ram owner question