3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What engines will work in a 2002 RAM?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 09:15 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by harvey1
I tried putting a 2006 4.7L engine in my 2002 ram pickup. I replaced the crank shaft in the new engine with the crank shaft from the 02' as well as the timing sprocket. When i tried to start it, she started twice momentarily then died.
Does anyone know if there's a key component i'm missing in the new engine?

2006 has a security system that requires a coded Key to start, so you might get ignition once, but you will need the coded key in order for it to stay running and out of anti-theft mode.

Can you list all of the parts you swapped into it?

Old 01-25-2013, 08:00 PM
harvey1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I swapped the crank shaft, the timing sprocket and the gear sprockets..i used the chains off the 02 engine. The only difference i found was a tooth count in the sprocket, the chains between the 06 and 02 appeared to be the same. I also changed the oil sensor, cam sensor and crank sensor..all 02 sensors and components in the 06 engine. It would do as you said and fire but not stay running. Someone had mentioned the key code might be different but one major problem i found after doing a test and changing the sensors was no compression in half of the cylinders. I took the engine out and did a bench test on the heads..all valves held their water for an hour straight. I ordered new head bolts and head gaskets. Would it matter if a guy happened to mixed up one or two rocker arms on the intake and exhaust lobe? Also, would you happen to know what to do about the different key codes?

Old 01-28-2013, 10:08 AM
Izero
Champion

You have to go to the dealer with proof that you own the PCM with that VIN # or have it reVINed... motor swaps can get complicated in that regard... the dealer is really your only option to get the key coded correctly. You will need to change the lock cylinder to the 2006 and have the PCM for the new motor programmed to accept the key you are using.

So you either need to have the PCM reprogrammed with your VIN # and get a key that is coded to match, OR get a key that is coded to the VIN # on the PCM.

The second option will require more paperwork to prove that you legally own the 2006 PCM/Vehicle....

Old 01-28-2013, 01:50 PM
Izero
Champion

I just thought about something... did you use the Crank sensor for the 02 or 06?

I saw that you've mixed and matched timing components, so your starting issue might be because of that as well... the PCM might be expecting a different timing reading than it is getting which exceeds the allowable correction factors so it shuts off to protect itself.

If you don't mind can you list which parts from the 2002 motor you've reused on the 06 motor?

Old 01-28-2013, 11:26 PM
harvey1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

02 crank shaft, 02 cam sprocket, 02 oil sensor, 02 crank sensor, 02 cam sensor. 02 gear sprocket, 02 timing sprocket. I'm about to re assemble it. I'm hoping that the first attempt we just had the timing off 180 degrees.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:43 AM
AIR_RAM
Amateur
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by harvey1
02 crank shaft, 02 cam sprocket, 02 oil sensor, 02 crank sensor, 02 cam sensor. 02 gear sprocket, 02 timing sprocket. I'm about to re assemble it. I'm hoping that the first attempt we just had the timing off 180 degrees.
As long as you used your 02 Cam & Crank tone rings it should fire right up with no issues...

So this leads me to beleive something was not right.

Check your cams and make sure the Cam Pins are lined up in the keys on the cam sprockets. I have seen these get missed and actually pressed into the cam as the sprocket is torqued... When that happens you lose cam timing because the key is no longer there.

Other than that... it should fire right up if everything else is plugged in.... Did it have fuel?
How about Spark?

Keep us posted.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 01-29-2013, 09:28 AM
Izero
Champion

Originally Posted by AIR_RAM
As long as you used your 02 Cam & Crank tone rings it should fire right up with no issues...

So this leads me to beleive something was not right.

Check your cams and make sure the Cam Pins are lined up in the keys on the cam sprockets. I have seen these get missed and actually pressed into the cam as the sprocket is torqued... When that happens you lose cam timing because the key is no longer there.

Other than that... it should fire right up if everything else is plugged in.... Did it have fuel?
How about Spark?

Keep us posted.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

The hard part here is that he is using all of the 2002 timing components on the bottom end, so the timing/alignment marks on the block are going to be of zero help to him.

You are going to have to use dial indicators and all kinds of fun tools to get them to match... if there is nothing wrong with the 2006 crank components then you should be using those.

Also are you using the 2006 PCM or are you using the 2002 PCM?

Old 01-29-2013, 10:13 AM
AIR_RAM
Amateur

Originally Posted by Izero
The hard part here is that he is using all of the 2002 timing components on the bottom end, so the timing/alignment marks on the block are going to be of zero help to him.

You are going to have to use dial indicators and all kinds of fun tools to get them to match... if there is nothing wrong with the 2006 crank components then you should be using those.

Also are you using the 2006 PCM or are you using the 2002 PCM?

No thats not the case. And from what I understood he is still using his 2002 PCM and swapped out his Crank tone ring and passengers side Cam Sprocket tone ring... The PCM will not know the difference as long as the Cam & Crank tone rings are made for that Jtec PCM.

You have two types of 4.7L engines.

JTEC = 3-Plug PCM + 16-Tooth tone ring + matching Cam tone ring
NGC = 4-Plug PCM + 32-Tooth tone ring + matching Cam tone ring

Sensors are the same... Although the newer engines come with EGR and Knock sensors. With the EGR all you need to do is block it off... right on the head. Just tap the hole and plug it. Since the 2002 does not have knock sensors... just leave it... or remove the intake manifold and remove it. Either way its not going to change anything.

The timing sets are 100% identical 1999-2006. The ONLY thing that sets the timing sets apart is the Passengers side timing sprocket that comes with the timing kit... otherwise they are exactly the same.

So if he uses a Wedge tool on the passengers side... To make the job easy the only special tools one would want to have are the Wedge Tool and the Valve spring compressor tool... all you need to do is:

REMOVE OLD CAM SPROCKET
  1. Line the cam timing dot to a spot on the cam.
  2. Mark it with a scribe or something that wont wipe off easily.
  3. Install Wedge Tool
  4. With Spring Compressor tool, remove the followers
  5. Loosen the cam shaft bolt
  6. Loosen /remove the cam caps
  7. Tilt the cam Forward and remove the cam Sprocket/tone ring
INSTALL NEW CAM SPROCKET
  1. Take new tone ring/timing sprocket and line that dot with the dot you made on the chain.
  2. Line cam pin with sprocket key and install cam.
  3. finger tighten scam bolt making sure cam key does NOT slide out of the sprocket key hole. <--- This is easy to fudge up and does happened OFTEN and can be hard to detect. If you experience issues with is not starting then you may want to double check this first!
  4. Lay cam into the Journals and install cam caps.
  5. Torque cam bolt
  6. Install followers
  7. Remove wedge tool
  8. Install valve covers
  9. Fire her up!
Should fire right up!

If you have any 4.7L questions feel free to contact me... We have been building and modifying the 4.7L engine since 2002.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Last edited by AIR_RAM; 01-29-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:31 AM
Izero
Champion

Originally Posted by AIR_RAM
??

No thats not the case.
The timing sets are 100% identical 1999-2007. The ONLY thing that sets the timing sets apart is the Passengers side timing sprocket that comes with the timing kit... otherwise they are exactly the same.

So if he uses a Wedge tool on the passengers side... To make the job easy the only special tools one would want to have are the Wedge Tool and the Valve spring compressor tool... all you need to do is:

REMOVE OLD CAM SPROCKET
  1. Line the cam timing dot to a spot on the cam.
  2. Mark it with a scribe or something that wont wipe off easily.
  3. Install Wedge Tool
  4. With Spring Compressor tool, remove the followers
  5. Loosen the cam shaft bolt
  6. Loosen /remove the cam caps
  7. Tilt the cam Forward and remove the cam Sprocket/tone ring
INSTALL NEW CAM SPROCKET
  1. Take new tone ring/timing sprocket and line that dot with the dot you made on the chain.
  2. Line cam pin with sprocket key and install cam.
  3. finger tighten scam bolt making sure cam key does NOT slide out of the sprocket key hole. <--- This has happened OFTEN and can be hard to detect.
  4. Lay cam into the Journals and install cam caps.
  5. Torque cam bolt
  6. Install followers
  7. Remove wedge tool
  8. Install valve covers
  9. Fire her up!
Should fire right up!

If you have any 4.7L questions feel free to contact me... We have been building and modifying the 4.7L engine since 2002.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

That is good to know that they are the same up to 2007. I was under the impression they added an EGR and Knock Sensors in 2005, which might mean the issue is with the PCM depending on which he is using.

If he is indeed using the 2006 PCM he will need the EGR and knock sensors installed and connected, and he will also need the updated lock cylinder with a coded key, or at least a bypass module to get around the ignition immobilizer.

If he is using the 2002 PCM then he just has to make sure all of the physical timing is dead on...

Old 01-29-2013, 11:21 AM
AIR_RAM
Amateur

Originally Posted by Izero
That is good to know that they are the same up to 2007. I was under the impression they added an EGR and Knock Sensors in 2005, which might mean the issue is with the PCM depending on which he is using.

If he is indeed using the 2006 PCM he will need the EGR and knock sensors installed and connected, and he will also need the updated lock cylinder with a coded key, or at least a bypass module to get around the ignition immobilizer.

If he is using the 2002 PCM then he just has to make sure all of the physical timing is dead on...
Yes... but it makes no since to swap the PCM on a straight engine swap.

Thats why he changed the tone rings. Otherwise if he swapped both the 2006 engine and pcm/harness there would be no need to swap the tone rings.

I guess we would need some more specifics from him...

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
www.AIRRAM.com

Quick Reply: What engines will work in a 2002 RAM?